Praise and new culture ideas.

Creating new content for Millénaire
Radetzky

Praise and new culture ideas.

Post by Radetzky » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:01 am

Hello,

this is my first post on this lovely new forum, however I have been watching progress of this mod, one of the greatest, almost since beginning. I must say, the mod quality now makes it my favourite, thus I cannot even imagine playing Minecraft without it.

Therefore, I was thinking I could support with at least some constructive thoughts (since I am interested in history it shouldn't be much nonsense), what cultures could be next.

Looking at the area Millénaire already covered I found a few that would not overlap with the rest, or just a little.

1. Old norse/Viking. Yes I know we are in 1000s, then again large parts of Sweden (here and there Sweden as whole was ruled by pagans during the 11th century) were still believing in the old gods. The buildings, I think, are quite unique, that even Normans that have some ties with them are different enough. Plus we could have blots, raiding, runestones, etc. (and no, it's not fanboysm of the Vikings serie, which I tbh. haven't even seen). And even Varangian guards for Byzantines!
My attempts, which are very poorly designed and often ended badly (longhouse catching fire few times, had to redesign it):
Runestone in sacred grove.
Langhús
Its interior
Log cabin
And atlast, my favourite, turf house.

Once again merely an inspiration.

As of others... I think interesting would be some sort of muslim faction. Fatimids? Almoravids?

cmb

Re: Praise and new culture ideas.

Post by cmb » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:53 pm

Do you have plans to make this a custom culture?

Radetzky

Post by Radetzky » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:21 pm

Alas I lack both design and modding skills, so I meant this more of inspiration for those more capable.

cmb

Post by cmb » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:29 pm

B. Do you have the world files or exported the buildings to a building plan

Radetzky

Post by Radetzky » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:38 pm

Well I willl correct the wrong parameters of the langhús, maybe do some more variations and then I will try to upload it for anyone interested.

Radetzky

Post by Radetzky » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:10 pm

Okay so for those interested, I did some changes to the buildings as well as added some new (temple).
Download link for the map: Nevermind, expired.
If someone was interested to make it into even fan-made culture, it would be delightful.

zander623

Post by zander623 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:34 pm

Ive been doing some work on a norse culture latley, mabey i will upload a link to it if i stop being so lazy and acctually mak a bit more progress. Could you btw put up a download again? could really do with a little moar inspiration.. :geek:

CrikCrok

Post by CrikCrok » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:44 pm

Hi Radetzky:

In first, welcome to the forum! 8-)

About your buildings, I recommend you investigate the file Colour Sheet.png to see the avaiable blocks (and other things) you can do with your buildings. (check ...\.minecraft\mods\millenaire)

About "muslim faction. Fatimids? Almoravids?" you can see this post: http://millenaire.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=95 about this question. And if you like you can help.

CrikCrok. ;)
Norman Core Buildings replacement C.XIII . 2.03 FIXED RELEASE! check it in Millenaire Library or Millenaire Forums to download it.

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:21 am

Radetzky wrote:Hello,

this is my first post on this lovely new forum, however I have been watching progress of this mod, one of the greatest, almost since beginning. I must say, the mod quality now makes it my favourite, thus I cannot even imagine playing Minecraft without it.
Yes I must say back when I first saw Millenaire and it was just some Normans who would always attack creepers and then die and then the villager would be gone forever, I never expected it to become this.
Therefore, I was thinking I could support with at least some constructive thoughts (since I am interested in history it shouldn't be much nonsense), what cultures could be next.
Ehhh... suggestions go on the Suggestions page of the wiki.
1. Old norse/Viking.
Over the years there have been some attempts for this.

SoNick

Post by SoNick » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:23 am

Ah, with this you already have a start; the best thing to do is to keep building on what you have!
Don't get yourself down by saying that your work isn't good enough, it's already better than those who haven't even tried. Just keep working on buildings and you'll get better and better as you go along. I will say that I REALLY like the Longhouse design!

Radetzky

Post by Radetzky » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:11 am

Thank you for your replies, kind folks! I honestly stopped watching this thread somewhen in August or so and lost track of things. Your pieces of advice are very valuable to me.

Happily I still have the save. Including those not pictured here, the temple, turf (low level?) longhouse etc. I will try to attach it. I wonder, do I need to zip the whole world folder in the saves folder?

I will check the Arab culture thread, did some experiments myself as well.
Sure, but this thread of mine has actual custom content, eh?
Yes I have noticed myself and I believe it is time to make it finally official! :)

And yes, the design of longhouse was subject of many trials and errors (fire can truly spread quickly), but I am also happy how it turned out in the end.

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:50 pm

Radetzky wrote:Alas I lack both design and modding skills, so I meant this more of inspiration for those more capable.
To be honest, Millenaire is designed in a way so that addon cultures fan-made require little to no actual coding.
Radetzky wrote:
Sure, but this thread of mine has actual custom content, eh?
If you're going to make it then ok. =b
Yes I have noticed myself and I believe it is time to make it finally official! :)