Dutch Culture - Bataven

Creating new content for Millénaire
DGW1985

Dutch Culture - Bataven

Post by DGW1985 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:05 pm

Hi people,

I'm new to this but have decided to give it a go to create a custom culture. I am aware that the work is extensive, but there are several things unclear to me. Furthermore, I'm looking forward to basel's civeditor (http://millenaire.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=471).

The plan is as follows;
Create basic setup - done
Fill in Data
- NPC names - done
- Village names - done
- Villagers txt files - work in progress
- building and other commands - not yet started !!! I WILL NEED HELP ON THAT!!!
- Skin files - not yet started
- Custom buildings - not yet started
- Shops - not yet started
- Traded Goods - not yet started

There are several other things to do, but I wish to get the core part done first. From there I will start testing, using norman buildings and other files as bases and slowly adapting them as I have time towards the final goal.

All help is welcome, pick yourself a file, let me know below and start working on it; please note that buildings is last. the other things for a culture are actually more important, the Norman buildings will do fine at the start.

I will update this post as much as I can to show the progress.

Help is welcome as said above.

Cheers

I know how to export buildings, but how do I set sleeping positions?

carriontrooper

Re: Dutch Culture - Bataven

Post by carriontrooper » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:18 pm

you have to edit in the sleeping positions using photoshop or paint.

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:32 pm

If it helps this was how I designed my Inuits culture.

http://millenaire.org/wiki/User:Felinoel/Inupik

DGW1985

Post by DGW1985 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:04 pm

thanks felinoel, that'll helkp certainly.

I'm working on it, though not getting the time in needed, but will get there.
If anyone has some ideas that you'd like to see, let me know!

DGW1985

Post by DGW1985 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:34 pm

Below was done in Excel, so down here it will be a bit messy; I look forward to ideas. if anybody wants to help (making buildingpalns, skins etc. etc.) let me know. It is a slow process with a lot to do, current status is going on 20%...

The setup:

Boerderij (Farm) Boer (Farmer) [dutch_farmer] Boerin (farmer female) [dutch_farmerwife] Graan (Wheat) Aardappel (Potato) Wortel (Carrot) Zaden (Seeds)
Veeboerderij (Cattlefarm) Veeboer (Cattlefarmer) [dutch_cattle_farmer] Boerin (farmer female) [dutch_farmerwife] Rauw Vlees (Raw Beef) Huid (hide) Karbonade (Raw Porkchop)
Pluimveeboerderij (Chickenfarm) Pluimveeboer (Chickanfarmer) [dutch_chicken_farmer] Boerin (farmer female) [dutch_farmerwife] Rauwe Kip (Raw Chicken) Eieren (Eggs)
Schapenboerderij (Sheepfarm) Schaapsherder (shepherd) [dutch_shepherd] Herdershond (sheepdog) [dutch_tamedwolf] Wol (Wool)

Jagershut (Huntershut) Jager (Hunter) [dutch_hunter] Herdershond (sheepdog) [dutch_tamedwolf] Rauw Vlees (Raw Beef) Huid (hide) Karbonade (Raw Porkchop)
Looierij (Tannery) Looier (Tanner) [dutch_tanner] Vrouw (wife) [dutch_wife) Leren Helm (Leather helmet) Leren vest (Leather Armour) Leren Broek (Leather pants) Leren Schoenen (leather Boots)
Vissershut (Fisherman hut) Visser (Fisherman) [dutch_Fisherman] Vissersvrouw (Fishermans wife) [dutch_Fisher_female] Rauwe Vis (Raw Fish)

Houthakkershut (Lumberman's cabin) Houthakker (Lumberman) [dutch_lumberman] ? Hout (Wood, all types) Appelcider (Cider)
Groeve (Quarry) Steenhouwer (Miner) [dutch_miner] ? Stone Gravel
Bosperceel (Grove) Wood Ciderapple
Zagerij (Carpenter's House) Timmerman (Carpenter) [dutch_carpenter] ? Timberframes Wooden Tools

Gaarkeuken (Kitchen) Kok (Cook) [dutch_cook] Kokin (Cookswife) [dutch_cook_female] All cooked foods
Bakkerij (Bakery) Bakker (Bakker) [dutch_baker] ? Bread
Taverne (Tavern) cider Calva Beer (to be created)
Herberg (Inn) Herbergin (Innkeepster) [dutch_inkeepster]
Pension (Guest House)

Kerk (church)
Kathedraal (cathedrale)
Pastorie (priests House) Priester (Priest) [dutch_priest]
Klooster (Monastery) Non (Nun) [dutch_nun] 3x All cooked foods
Abdij (Abbey) Monnik (Monk) [dutch_monk] 3x cider Calva Beer (to be created)

Stadswacht (guard house) Wachter (Guard) [dutch_guard] Vrouw (wife) [dutch_wife)
Hoofdstadswacht (Main Guard hq) Ridder (Knight) [dutch_knight] 3x ?

Smidse (Forge) Smit (Blacksmith) [dutch_blacksmith]
Wapensmid (Armoury) Smit (Blacksmith) [dutch_blacksmith]
Markt (market)

Kasteel (Fortress) Townhall, military and player
Veiling (Manor) Townhall, Agricultural
Gildehal (Guildshall) Townhall, Artisan
Abdij en of Klooster (Abbey or Monastery) Townhall Religious

DGW1985

Post by DGW1985 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:31 pm

Just a quick update;

villager files are done, skins are almost all done (some are used from existing, most are new)
will hopefully finish those this week, and start with the building designs, after that the building txt's.

DGW1985

Post by DGW1985 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:23 am

I have started with the building designs;
the list below show the progress so far, will update this regularly. It is a lot of work as you well know, help on the designs is very much appreciated; txt files are for later worry.
In regards to the townhalls, I like the designs from crikcrok http://millenaire.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=217, so at this moment I will stick by them, perhaps slightly re-design them.
Look on internet for what old fashioned dutch buildings look like, let me know which one(s) you wish to design and what you are aiming for in the design.

In the long run, I wish to create buildings (artisan) that are one block, but combining certain types of shops, making them into a street (like the tradehouses in Amsterdam), that takes much more work and is beyond my understanding of modding for now. Any help, ideas and tips are welcome.

Boerderij (Farm)
Veeboerderij (Cattlefarm)
Pluimveeboerderij (Chickenfarm)
Schapenboerderij (Sheepfarm)
Varkensboerderij (Pigfarm)

Jagershut (Huntershut)
Looierij (Tannery)
Vissershut (Fisherman hut)

Houthakkershut (Lumberman's cabin) Total of 5 upgrades, all done
Groeve (Quarry) Steenhouwer Total of 5 upgrades, WIP
Bosperceel (Grove)
Zagerij (Carpenter's House)

Bakkerij (Bakery)
Taverne (Tavern)
Herberg (Inn)
Pension (Guest House)

Kerk (church)
Kathedraal (cathedrale)
Pastorie (priests House)
Klooster (Monastery)
Abdij (Abbey)

Stadswacht (guard house)
Hoofdstadswacht (Main Guard hq)

Smidse (Forge)
Wapensmid (Armoury)
Markt (market)

alex1c2d

Post by alex1c2d » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:53 am

gimme some pictures of the fortress

plz.

DGW1985

Post by DGW1985 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:23 am

not sure what you mean?

DGW1985

Post by DGW1985 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:26 pm

Haven't been around for a while, but work is steadily progressing.

I have a question regarding sub buildings; how can I make a building with sub buildings?
There are a few ideas where I want this to lead, such as a "shopping Street"; but also the combination of a grove and lumberjack...

can somebody explain how these work?

Xour

Post by Xour » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:36 am

I suggest you look at the byzantine buildings they have subs in there's

the idea is that you make you centre building png have room for those separate buildings you want to put in and then create new buildings the labels are slightly different hower
a subbuilding text file name needs to be written like this (assuming the centre building is fort and the sub is your market street)
fort_A_marketstreet_A
make sure in your marketplace text to include the section
type:subbuilding
and in your forts text put these
subbuilding:fort_A_marketstreet_A

and that should be about it

DGW1985

Post by DGW1985 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:03 am

Thanks,
I have pretty much done this for a grove and lumberjack combo.
Now I wish to test it; how can I get this building into Minecraft while playing; I have tried various things, replaced buildings, placed in the custom buildings folder etc etc, but somehow it doesn't want to appear.

I have added the file, perhaps I'm missing something
Attachments
Grove_A.zip
(16.94 KiB) Downloaded 171 times

Xour

Post by Xour » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:25 pm

mistakes and suggestions

subbuilding name in the grove file doesn't need _A at the end (subbuilding:grove_A_lumbermanshut)

highly recommend that the grove adds on to the hut because if you build a house then you have to wait for a child to grow up and live there for the village to get wood and also have to wait for a wife to make the goods be delivered (unless male does all the work)

consider flipping the width and length around because ground clearing takes a long time it will take a while to change but will save hours of testing (changing means builder would do less walking)

change your file names to lower case (just a tip as most game designs use this not sure if it's necessary in millenaire but I do it automaticly)

building files don't work a lot of the time when you seperate them onto different lines. put it all together with semicolons between commands

on a side note when you ask for help could you include a copy of the millenaire error log to make things easier

you've placed chests in the same place on some of your upgrades and a chest is in the entrace to the grove (it's just annoying to see in the error log and you can fix it when you test civ)

maybe a couple less torches on the ground?

other than that I have to say I Like the looks of this idea I've attached my edited text files to this post you'll have to change the male and female's that spawn back (I used my own to test it)
Attachments
edited text docs.zip
(581 Bytes) Downloaded 171 times

DGW1985

Post by DGW1985 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:21 pm

Thanks for your help, I do have one more issue, I can't seem to getthe building to spawn mor does it appear in any way...

How can I get the builkding into the game at all?

Xour

Post by Xour » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:30 am

It was working for me when I made those adjustments if you give me the whole culture then I'll try to fix it and send it back to you.
Also if I make the changes do you want me to change the grove to be the subbuilding and the lumber hut to be the main?

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:13 pm

So, I heard that you could use some help!
I was planning on making a culture, but it's probably better just to assist someone else who is already on a roll.

How can I help?

DGW1985

Post by DGW1985 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:29 pm

well, that is a good question, I lost a stack of files, so right now I'm trying to figure out where to pick up work exactly, As i do have a day job, I dont get around to do a lot lately.

My biggest issue is mostly the coding of villager and building files; I was planning on adding an excell sheet with a complete overview of the culture, as soon as I have that up here on the forum it wil be easier to help each other out.

Some things are so timeconsuming I don't get around to finishing them for days.

essentially the setup of the culture is as per attached file, but that is not complete (the complete one is one of the things missing...). Need to finish this before I know exactly where to go, I do have some handwritten notes.

DGW1985

Post by DGW1985 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:30 pm

now with attachment
Attachments
Bataven dorpen en inwoners.zip
(8.91 KiB) Downloaded 159 times

DGW1985

Post by DGW1985 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:47 am

after some deliberation, I have decided to put this "culture" on hold.
I'll be working on a different culture with one of yours, which I'm sure you'll read about shortly.
The dutch will be done one day, but probably will not be included into the core, so a refocus (also for me to learn the ropes) is required at this time.

I do have some other ideas, regarding buildings (new and changes) as well as some village ideas.

CHeers

DGW1985

Post by DGW1985 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:53 pm

I created a new building, a city guard, adding up to 6 guards in one building.
now comes the idiot question, how does one get a new building in millenaire?
idiot proof explanation please...

files are attached
Attachments
cityguard.zip
(37.17 KiB) Downloaded 135 times

Xour

Post by Xour » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:45 am

I've had a quick look at it and there are already a few mistakes that i can see so a few answers that I need to know are:
-have you got a village text document made yet that should be in the the folder villages (not villagers!!!)
-This guard that you mention as the male that spawns have you made him yet?
-looking at the pixel colours I think that you may have placed two bed pixels when you only need one and the same with the sleeping positions?
-Have you made your centre building? if not I suggest you do so very soon (it should be the first thing you make)

And a few tips:
-you made a typo in one of your file names (be careful, those sort of things can be annoying to find later on if the millenaire error log doesn't pick up on it)
-don't use the preserveground pixel in paint so much, upgrades and subbuildings don't need it, just the original building.

I have things to do so I can't fix it up yet and i'd rather not unless i'm plugging these building into your civ not a test one.

if you need help with something feel free to reply

DGW1985

Post by DGW1985 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:00 am

Hi,

The building is supposed to be with the normans, the issue is that is is not appearing in the game, so I can't test it at all.
I'll change the name as you said and the bed, preserve ground etc. see if that works and reupload.

Where should I place the files to get the building into the game.

Cheers

Xour

Post by Xour » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:51 am

have you put the building in the Norman's villages text's then?

these are the Norman villages
agricole
artisans
bourg_autonome
controlled
ecclesiastique
grosbourg
hameau_abbatiale
hameau_agricole
hameau_artisans
militare

you have to decide which ones you want it in and then put them in using these commands

start: will start in the village when it spawns
core: first buildings to be built
secondary: last buildings to be built

probably group them to stay with the start, core and secondary text line's in the original Norman villages (and make a copy of original Norman civ as well. Also when your testing make sure it's a start building.

hope that's the problem
cheers

DGW1985

Post by DGW1985 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:23 am

I'm closing this forum and re-opening one with Custom Buildings