Acculturation pack

Creating new content for Millénaire

Acculturation pack

Postby felinoel » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:31 am

Humans are an inventive people, throw them in a new world with new physics and laws and they will adapt.
So why haven't the people of Millenaire?

This addon pack lets them acculturate, lets them become accustomed to the world of Minecraft, and has them adapt... once the Creation Quest has been completed for that culture (to simulate time passing and because that is what the Creation Quests do, have them learn about the Minecraft world). This purpose of this thread is to brainstorm ideas for how they adapt and to balance everything so each culture is given fair things.
Granted, the Hindi culture should probably get better stuff since most people find that culture not up to the standards of the other cultures and giving the Hindi better endgame stuff would make them more popular.

Currently I have a few things in mind but this list is VERY WIP:
  • Hindi: Enchanted armor and sword found here, Vishnu maya focus (an item that projects a duplicate of oneself that attracts all mobs away from you), as well as maybe some sort of potion set... but which potions?, The End access
  • Normans: Enchanted Swords, minor Enchanted Armor, Nether access
  • Mayan: Enchanted Armor, minor Enchated Swords, poisoning effect blowgun, Xiuhcoatl (lightning weapon), Nether access
  • Japanese: Extra Stuff (<--- or maybe not since Rasseru says he will be using these for something else...), The End access
  • Byzantine: Enchanted Swords, flamethrower (hollowed out blaze rod), Nether access
  • Inuit: Special Foods, Potions, Taqriaqsuit focus (enderman teleportation), The End access

Please post thoughts and additions! Perhaps even a super rare, hard to get flight granting item?

EDIT:
For balancing issues, if any has a flight item, all cultures will.
Mayan: Q'uq'umatz wings (rainbow wings on gold chestpiece with snake scale imprints)
Other cultures: TBD!
felinoel

Re: Acculturation pack

Postby Kinniken » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:02 am

Sounds like an interesting idea :) In fact I had kind of thought of doing something along those lines, just never had the time for it (and when I get modding time I'll be focusing on upgrading to 1.7, a big task).

I'd be curious to see what you can come up with. And maybe some of it will end up in the main mod too, who knows?
Kinniken
Site Admin

Postby Llurendt » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:47 am

Would be kinda cool, though I would hope that there is the ability to disable some or all of the new items. Powerful items must be EXTREMELY balanced for multiplayer/PvP servers, haha.
Llurendt

Postby felinoel » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:00 pm

How about the Normans (or... someone else?) produce enchantments!
Some culture that is already overpowered/overused/already a fan fav culture. They would sell current enchantments and we could include new enchantments like...

An attracting enchantment that when placed on armor/weapon and when weilding/wearing will attract items to you like how the exp orbs work, multiple enchantments increase the distance and the enchantment has a max level of 2 and full 2 armor and weapon has a special effect that attracts items of a certain distance THROUGH blocks... maybe?

Another could be a bleed enchantment that when used on weapons produces the same effect as poison but... could a graphic be added to the target that is being hit so that they drop red particles that look like blood maybe?

I say the Normans because they are the signature culture and the culture that spawns the most due to the weight system, does anyone think a different culture would work better for storyline which has a culture that is more likely to write magic books for enchanting things?

EDIT:
The Hindi could have an instant reincarnation item, something that when in your inventory automatically respawns you right where you died and you can pick up your stuff your past self dropped.
felinoel

Postby carriontrooper » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:11 am

I'd say that Norman monks and Hindu priests could create enchanted books, but with different enchantments for each culture. Say, the Norman ones can make Smite, Sharpness, and Efficiency, while the Hindu can make Unbreaking, Power, Punch etc.
carriontrooper

Postby felinoel » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:37 am

carriontrooper wrote:I'd say that Norman monks and Hindu priests could create enchanted books, but with different enchantments for each culture. Say, the Norman ones can make Smite, Sharpness, and Efficiency, while the Hindu can make Unbreaking, Power, Punch etc.

I guess I can see that, but who would get the special enchantments not seen in Vanilla?
felinoel

Postby Pakal The Great » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:29 pm

I guess I can see that, but who would get the special enchantments not seen in Vanilla?

I believe the Maya would be able to do that, since the King's Shaman shared his enchanting rituals with the village that you did the Sacrificial Altar mission for.
Also! Quetzalcoatl was only seen as a god through the Aztec's eyes, the Maya did not believe in Quetzalcoatl, and to my current knowledge, there is no god similar to Quetzalcoatl in the Mayan pantheon of gods, and I KNOW that Xiuhcoatl was NOT believed to be used by any god in the Mayan pantheon. If this ticks you off (Which hopefully it DOES NOT), my excuse is I'd rather not have my culture mixed up with the god-awful Aztecs.
Pakal The Great

Postby felinoel » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:42 am

Pakal The Great wrote:

I believe the Maya would be able to do that, since the King's Shaman shared his enchanting rituals with the village that you did the Sacrificial Altar mission for.
Also! Quetzalcoatl was only seen as a god through the Aztec's eyes, the Maya did not believe in Quetzalcoatl, and to my current knowledge, there is no god similar to Quetzalcoatl in the Mayan pantheon of gods, and I KNOW that Xiuhcoatl was NOT believed to be used by any god in the Mayan pantheon. If this ticks you off (Which hopefully it DOES NOT), my excuse is I'd rather not have my culture mixed up with the god-awful Aztecs.
It doesn't have to be a god, and I will change it to Q'uq'umatz.
felinoel

Postby LordDamien » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:10 pm

I did wanted to write dialogues and one-liners for cultures that mentioned the actual environment in Minecraft, like zombies, endermen or creepers, specially using their cultural and age view.

i.e. the guard saying:"Nights are becoming restless, the wrights come knocking our door villages from dusk to dawn."
another character:"Words from merchants say this pestilence victims, once dead, rise again to join their ranks."
the guard answering:"His Lordship, $chiefname, has put word to burn any corpses that might have such maladie"
another character:"That isn't Christian, his eminence, the abbot will not be pleased".

In retrospect, their dialogue might be too dark and cumbersome for the usual players..

In fact, if the idea of the books progressed, I wanted to write a story about why they are in the Minecraft world, expanded in multiple tomes that the player would have to find through quests and dungeons.
LordDamien

Postby Pakal The Great » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:54 am

Mayan: Enchanted Armor, minor Enchated Swords, poisoning effect blowgun, Xiuhcoatl (lightning weapon), Nether access

You obviously don't get what I meant by "I dont want my people to be mixed with the Aztecs".
Anything that ends with "Coatl" is immediatly of Aztec origin, or Toltec, but they only reached the region where the K'iche's inhabited, so the Yucatecs do not use "Coatl" at the end, or if they do, I am not aware of it.
Anyways, I suggest that you do NOT add either the Xiuhcoatl, or the Kukumatz wings. Why? Well, most of the translations that I've seen are in Yucatec Maya, and Tulum (Which is an actual Milpa that I encountered) is Yucatec.
So, there you go, other than those two irrelevant things (Really, who needs to fly, or make their graphics card shit themselves for a god-damn lightning bolt?), the other things seem fine, as long as you don't try and mix Yucatec maya K'iche maya and the Aztecs together, I'll be fine.
In other words, if you need a texturer, I'm up for the task. Just direct me to a non-image editing application, and I'll start creating the textures for you.
Pakal The Great

Postby felinoel » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:50 am

LordDamien wrote:I did wanted to write dialogues and one-liners for cultures that mentioned the actual environment in Minecraft, like zombies, endermen or creepers, specially using their cultural and age view.

i.e. the guard saying:"Nights are becoming restless, the wrights come knocking our door villages from dusk to dawn."
another character:"Words from merchants say this pestilence victims, once dead, rise again to join their ranks."
the guard answering:"His Lordship, $chiefname, has put word to burn any corpses that might have such maladie"
another character:"That isn't Christian, his eminence, the abbot will not be pleased".

In retrospect, their dialogue might be too dark and cumbersome for the usual players..

In fact, if the idea of the books progressed, I wanted to write a story about why they are in the Minecraft world, expanded in multiple tomes that the player would have to find through quests and dungeons.
lol actually my Inuits' dialogues includes calling the Endermen by the name of one of the Inuits' mythos...

Pakal The Great wrote:
Mayan: Enchanted Armor, minor Enchated Swords, poisoning effect blowgun, Xiuhcoatl (lightning weapon), Nether access

You obviously don't get what I meant by "I dont want my people to be mixed with the Aztecs".
Anything that ends with "Coatl" is immediatly of Aztec origin, or Toltec, but they only reached the region where the K'iche's inhabited, so the Yucatecs do not use "Coatl" at the end, or if they do, I am not aware of it.
Anyways, I suggest that you do NOT add either the Xiuhcoatl, or the Kukumatz wings. Why? Well, most of the translations that I've seen are in Yucatec Maya, and Tulum (Which is an actual Milpa that I encountered) is Yucatec.
So, there you go, other than those two irrelevant things (Really, who needs to fly, or make their graphics card shit themselves for a god-damn lightning bolt?), the other things seem fine, as long as you don't try and mix Yucatec maya K'iche maya and the Aztecs together, I'll be fine.
In other words, if you need a texturer, I'm up for the task. Just direct me to a non-image editing application, and I'll start creating the textures for you.
Again, calling it the Q'uq'umatz works too, it is pretty much the same thing.

Unless Kukumatz is a different spelling of Q'uq'umatz and if so Wikipedia says it is a Mayan mythological being so is the wiki article wrong or something?
felinoel

Postby Pakal The Great » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:25 pm

Kukuclan is a belief of the K'iche maya, and to my understanding, most of the translations are done in Yucatec Maya.
Pakal The Great

Postby felinoel » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:51 am

Pakal The Great wrote:Kukuclan is a belief of the K'iche maya, and to my understanding, most of the translations are done in Yucatec Maya.

What is the difference between the K'iche Maya and the Millenaire Maya?
felinoel

Postby Pakal The Great » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:01 am

felinoel wrote:
Pakal The Great wrote:Kukuclan is a belief of the K'iche maya, and to my understanding, most of the translations are done in Yucatec Maya.

The difference between them is: Millenaire Mayans speak Yucatec Maya, and not K'iche Maya. The Yucatec and K'iche maya never had any clashes, so their religion was not mixed (I.E Coatl as a suffix). It would be really unethical if there was Kukuclan (The K'iche maya belief), and Yucatec Maya speaking villagers.
Anyways, I hope you understand what I'm trying to tell you.
If not, then read this: You can't add a K'iche maya belief to a Yucatec maya language. It would not translate right, and would be stupid if K'iche maya (Inland) beliefs were that of the Yucatec Mayan's (Coastal region/Yucatan Peninsula).
Pakal The Great

Postby felinoel » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:38 am

Pakal The Great wrote:
felinoel wrote:

The difference between them is: Millenaire Mayans speak Yucatec Maya, and not K'iche Maya. The Yucatec and K'iche maya never had any clashes, so their religion was not mixed (I.E Coatl as a suffix). It would be really unethical if there was Kukuclan (The K'iche maya belief), and Yucatec Maya speaking villagers.
Anyways, I hope you understand what I'm trying to tell you.
If not, then read this: You can't add a K'iche maya belief to a Yucatec maya language. It would not translate right, and would be stupid if K'iche maya (Inland) beliefs were that of the Yucatec Mayan's (Coastal region/Yucatan Peninsula).
I did not realize that the Millenaire Mayan people were of a specific type of Mayans, just like how my Inuits culture is of a Southern Alaskan Inuit tribe... mostly.

Is it only the language that makes them Yucatec or is there something else that is unique to the Yucatecs that the Millenaire Mayans have?
felinoel

Postby Pakal The Great » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:27 pm

The naming of the village for one. (Tulum is a Yucatec mayan city)
Villager names as well, and possibly other things that I have not encountered yet, and also one of the Creation Quest's lines, which states that the king of the obsidian temple once ruled over a large part of the Yucatan peninsula.
Last edited by Pakal The Great on Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pakal The Great

Postby felinoel » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:09 pm

Pakal The Great wrote:The naming of the village for one. (Tulum is a Yucatec mayan city)
Villager names as well, and possibly other things that I have not encountered yet.

Got any other ideas for a flying item them?
felinoel

Postby PsiGuy60 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:13 pm

felinoel wrote:
Pakal The Great wrote:The naming of the village for one. (Tulum is a Yucatec mayan city)
Villager names as well, and possibly other things that I have not encountered yet.

Got any other ideas for a flying item them?

How's about having a major final quest that requires you to visit all cultures and bring them together? You can only finish it by collecting an Ender Dragon Egg (making this very endgame) and allowing the Priest equivalent of each culture to research it (except for the Normans, who use the Alchemist).

It has a tough final boss, that can only be defeated with a weapon made from the shells of a hatched Enderdragon egg (which can only be made if all the cultures work together). I suggest using the demon in the Mayan quest series.

Upon defeating the boss, he drops winged sandals called <boss>'s Sandals.

An additional reward could be the ability to start a Mixed Culture village.

MAJOR EDIT: I just now realised that mounts are kinda difficult to make, and even harder to add without altering the millénaire jar.
PsiGuy60

Postby felinoel » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:36 pm

PsiGuy60 wrote:How's about having a major final quest that requires you to visit all cultures and bring them together? You can only finish it by collecting an Ender Dragon Egg (making this very endgame) and allowing the Priest equivalent of each culture to research it (except for the Normans, who use the Alchemist).

It has a tough final boss, that can only be defeated with a weapon made from the shells of a hatched Enderdragon egg (which can only be made if all the cultures work together). I suggest using the demon in the Mayan quest series.

Upon defeating the boss, he drops winged sandals called <boss>'s Sandals.

An additional reward could be the ability to start a Mixed Culture village.

MAJOR EDIT: I just now realised that mounts are kinda difficult to make, and even harder to add without altering the millénaire jar.
I'm more inclined to add one item to each culture...
felinoel

Postby Zoythrus » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:49 pm

I'm going to be honest, I don't like giving the player the power of flight. Although, I am all in favor of culture-specific enchantments and potions. Enchantments not just for weapons, but also for armor.

I've always really enjoyed the fact that each of the cultures has a different "specialty," that each of them has different pros and cons when compared to the others.

Question: is it possible to assign negative attributes to armor/weapons? Like, giving the Normans armor that is very sturdy and protective, but slows down its wearer?

With that being said, if I was designing Millenaire and giving its cultures pros and cons, I'd give the Normans the heaviest armor and weapons, and the Maya the lightest (then put everyone else somewhere in between).
Zoythrus

Postby felinoel » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:52 am

Zoythrus wrote:I'm going to be honest, I don't like giving the player the power of flight. Although, I am all in favor of culture-specific enchantments and potions. Enchantments not just for weapons, but also for armor.
Ehh, flight is just in so many other mods and so many players want it that it just made sense to me...

I've always really enjoyed the fact that each of the cultures has a different "specialty," that each of them has different pros and cons when compared to the others.

Question: is it possible to assign negative attributes to armor/weapons? Like, giving the Normans armor that is very sturdy and protective, but slows down its wearer?
Yes, just add the slowness effect when wearing the armor.

With that being said, if I was designing Millenaire and giving its cultures pros and cons, I'd give the Normans the heaviest armor and weapons, and the Maya the lightest (then put everyone else somewhere in between).

Why the lightest for Mayans?
felinoel

Postby Zoythrus » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:21 pm

felinoel wrote:
Zoythrus wrote:I'm going to be honest, I don't like giving the player the power of flight. Although, I am all in favor of culture-specific enchantments and potions. Enchantments not just for weapons, but also for armor.
Ehh, flight is just in so many other mods and so many players want it that it just made sense to me...

Why the lightest for Mayans?

Of flight, just because you're making a mod that changes core gameplay doesn't mean that you can just add whatever you want. I feel as though flight detracts from the rest of the game as being....OP, to an extent. It also just feels tacky. Can't we think of a better end-game ability?

If I recall correctly, weren't the Maya more into things like spears, obsidian weaponry, and leather armor? That would give unprecedented speed, seeing as they travel light (and aren't burdened by iron-based equipment). Gameplay wise, I would probably give them leather armor that increases speed.
All of this could easily be added to like, the Inuits or someone else who fights "light."
Zoythrus

Postby felinoel » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:48 pm

Zoythrus wrote:Of flight, just because you're making a mod that changes core gameplay doesn't mean that you can just add whatever you want. I feel as though flight detracts from the rest of the game as being....OP, to an extent. It also just feels tacky. Can't we think of a better end-game ability?
Being OP is the point, it is endgame material.

If I recall correctly, weren't the Maya more into things like spears, obsidian weaponry, and leather armor? That would give unprecedented speed, seeing as they travel light (and aren't burdened by iron-based equipment). Gameplay wise, I would probably give them leather armor that increases speed.
All of this could easily be added to like, the Inuits or someone else who fights "light."
lol my Inuits have leather armor.
felinoel

Postby Zoythrus » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:56 pm

felinoel wrote:
Zoythrus wrote:Of flight, just because you're making a mod that changes core gameplay doesn't mean that you can just add whatever you want. I feel as though flight detracts from the rest of the game as being....OP, to an extent. It also just feels tacky. Can't we think of a better end-game ability?
Being OP is the point, it is endgame material.

Last time I checked, flight wasn't exactly a thing in the 11th century. I'm sorry, but I think that the idea just says "I wasn't too sure what else to do here, so here's flight."

lol my Inuits have leather armor.

Well then, let's see if we can find a difference between our two "lightest" cultures.
Zoythrus

Postby Xour » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:12 am

Inuits wore heavy furs didn't they? and they would have used clubs and spears which aren't the most agile of weapons (although they were tools for them not weapons)
Xour

Postby felinoel » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:40 am

Zoythrus wrote:Last time I checked, flight wasn't exactly a thing in the 11th century.
Hence the "Acculturation" part of Acculturation pack.

This pack continues the storyline of Millenaire with the humans testing out the weird new universe they are in and adapting to their new surroundings.

Xour wrote:Inuits wore heavy furs didn't they? and they would have used clubs and spears which aren't the most agile of weapons (although they were tools for them not weapons)
My Inuits have bows with a bleeding effect on them that is essentially randomized amounts of damage over randomized amounts of time.
felinoel

Postby Zoythrus » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:41 pm

felinoel wrote:
Zoythrus wrote:Last time I checked, flight wasn't exactly a thing in the 11th century.

This pack continues the storyline of Millenaire with the humans testing out the weird new universe they are in and adapting to their new surroundings.

But Flight isn't even something native to Minecraft! How could the villagers unlock the secrets of flight if bats are really the only Overworld things that fly?

Xour wrote:Inuits wore heavy furs didn't they? and they would have used clubs and spears which aren't the most agile of weapons (although they were tools for them not weapons)
My Inuits have bows with a bleeding effect on them that is essentially randomized amounts of damage over randomized amounts of time.

This is pretty cool, though. Maybe give them a special club which does something similar? Having "random" weapons for the Inuits would be pretty awesome. We could make that "randomness" their "schtick."
Zoythrus

Postby felinoel » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:43 am

Zoythrus wrote:
felinoel wrote:

But Flight isn't even something native to Minecraft! How could the villagers unlock the secrets of flight if bats are really the only Overworld things that fly?

This is pretty cool, though. Maybe give them a special club which does something similar? Having "random" weapons for the Inuits would be pretty awesome. We could make that "randomness" their "schtick."
Normans do something with the dragon, Mayans call upon their flying serpent, etc etc.

It is only random because it is a wound effect with bleeding.
felinoel

Return to Millénaire custom content