Giant all-in-one underground complex - possible?

Creating new content for Millénaire
imnotanexpert

Giant all-in-one underground complex - possible?

Post by imnotanexpert » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:38 pm

1. Would anyone like to help me create an all-in-one-space-dwarf-facility thing, where all the npc's live in 'sectors' of the giant underground facility, living in apartments in the 'life sector', working in the 'industrial sector' or the above ground 'agricultural sector', a giant glass dome where trees and crops are grown.
2. Is No.1 possible?

Also, these would need to be addressed for it to work:
3. How do i make sub buildings?

4. Is it possible to have some sub buildings of the townhall pre-built (with npc's) and without the starting npc's to have their own buildings? - yup i've found out that its 'startingsubbuilding' instead

If everything is possible, would some people like to join a team to build and .txt everything
Last edited by imnotanexpert on Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carriontrooper

Re: Giant all-in-one underground complex - possible?

Post by carriontrooper » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:19 pm

Could be possible if each 'sector' is actually its own bigass building. But, the downside is that they won't be connected to each other underground.
So, for example, you want your factory sector small at first, but with added tunnels and expansions once it's upgraded. Or maybe your residential sector only has 1 big bunk hall at start, but then it gets expanded into a few more rooms, etc... depends on your creativity, really.

imnotanexpert

Post by imnotanexpert » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:37 pm

carriontrooper wrote:Could be possible if each 'sector' is actually its own bigass building. But, the downside is that they won't be connected to each other underground.
So, for example, you want your factory sector small at first, but with added tunnels and expansions once it's upgraded. Or maybe your residential sector only has 1 big bunk hall at start, but then it gets expanded into a few more rooms, etc... depends on your creativity, really.

i mean, the whole town is just one building, everything inside it sub buildings, the townhall provides the 'shell', each upgrade gives more corridors, and sub buildings (similar to the guard towers in the norman castle, and all the buildings in the byzantine fort are also sub buildings) will be built, ie a bed and main chest will be all that is needed for a house, in a predetermined part of the townhall 'shell'. this way the position for their 'job' can be in a different part of the complex.

druha

Post by druha » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:43 pm

That is actually a really interesting idea, and one that hasn't been done yet. It is also very definitely possible. Making the entire city one building and everything inside a sub building I think is the correct approach. You should be able to have sub buildings generated as long as they are defined on that first line of the town hall building definition. There is an old walled town in the library which is similar to what you are thinking and may provide clues as to how to do sub buildings properly.

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:10 am

druha wrote:That is actually a really interesting idea, and one that hasn't been done yet.
No, I did it and submitted it to the Imaginations addon pack for Millenaire that added fantasy cultures a year or two ago.

I thought I was just talking to you about this too, well on a smaller level...
Yes, one massive "building" with subbuildings all under a pile of dirt can work, but the villagers lately this year seem to not understand what to do when there is dirt above them and run around on top of the "mountain"
I guess you could try smooth stone... but I kind of doubt that would work... Kinn has grass blocks, dirt blocks, sand blocks, etc coded as the ground level for villagers to walk on, he MIGHT not have included smooth stone... maybe...

imnotanexpert

Post by imnotanexpert » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:52 am

felinoel wrote:
druha wrote:That is actually a really interesting idea, and one that hasn't been done yet.
No, I did it and submitted it to the Imaginations addon pack for Millenaire that added fantasy cultures a year or two ago.

I thought I was just talking to you about this too, well on a smaller level...
Yes, one massive "building" with subbuildings all under a pile of dirt can work, but the villagers lately this year seem to not understand what to do when there is dirt above them and run around on top of the "mountain"
I guess you could try smooth stone... but I kind of doubt that would work... Kinn has grass blocks, dirt blocks, sand blocks, etc coded as the ground level for villagers to walk on, he MIGHT not have included smooth stone... maybe...
does this only apply to the top layer of the surface, or all of the layers above the npcs, or just the ceiling?

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:57 pm

imnotanexpert wrote:does this only apply to the top layer of the surface, or all of the layers above the npcs, or just the ceiling?
From what I understand, the highest layer up that is one of the ground level assigning blocks becomes that area's ground level.

and with the villagers' recent teleporting ability, that can cause a problem if they want to go up.

SoNick

Post by SoNick » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:40 am

I'd contemplated this myself and never really done anything with it.
My idea was to calculate the highest building and then have all of the buildings far enough underground that their floor levels match. Using the "delete" block instead of the "ignore" one in the schematics would cause a cave to be carved out naturally, and by including several blocks' worth of deleted blocks around each building then setting the number of blocks between the buildings to zero it should theoretically be possible to have a cave-down.

This still doesn't deal with the NPCs' movements, though.

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:46 am

SoNick wrote:I'd contemplated this myself and never really done anything with it.
My idea was to calculate the highest building and then have all of the buildings far enough underground that their floor levels match. Using the "delete" block instead of the "ignore" one in the schematics would cause a cave to be carved out naturally, and by including several blocks' worth of deleted blocks around each building then setting the number of blocks between the buildings to zero it should theoretically be possible to have a cave-down.

This still doesn't deal with the NPCs' movements, though.
Using the natural ground to cause the cave to be near unnoticeable?

I like that idea...