mineral sources for custom buildings help

Creating new content for Millénaire
imnotanexpert

mineral sources for custom buildings help

Post by imnotanexpert » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:24 pm

im trying to create an iron quarry, but can't seem to find a colour for an iron (ore) source (I have to use sources rather than just the block don't I ?), same for coal, gold etc. firstly, are there colours for them, secondly, if not, is it still possible another way.

thanks in advance. :)

druha

Re: mineral sources for custom buildings help

Post by druha » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:19 pm

There are currently only source blocks for stone, sand, sandstone, clay, and gravel. Source blocks are hard coded by this mod and there is currently no config option to label any block as a source block. This request has been made on the Suggestions page already however.

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:55 am

druha wrote:There are currently only source blocks for stone, sand, sandstone, clay, and gravel. Source blocks are hard coded by this mod and there is currently no config option to label any block as a source block. This request has been made on the Suggestions page already however.
Woah what? But... gold ore and coal (ore?) are listed, maybe it just wasn't added to the list for one reason or another...

druha

Post by druha » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:09 am

felinoel wrote:
druha wrote:There are currently only source blocks for stone, sand, sandstone, clay, and gravel. Source blocks are hard coded by this mod and there is currently no config option to label any block as a source block. This request has been made on the Suggestions page already however.
Woah what? But... gold ore and coal (ore?) are listed, maybe it just wasn't added to the list for one reason or another...
When I say "source" blocks I mean the infinite source of something that's mined in the quarry buildings by the villagers. Yes you can have gold and coal ore in building plans, but if the villagers mine those blocks they are gone, unlike the "source" blocks.

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:11 am

druha wrote:
felinoel wrote:
When I say "source" blocks I mean the infinite source of something that's mined in the quarry buildings by the villagers. Yes you can have gold and coal ore in building plans, but if the villagers mine those blocks they are gone, unlike the "source" blocks.
Ahhh, yes there is no iron source block because iron is supposed to be supplied by the player, ages ago it was the recommended source of income for the player.

rekless

Post by rekless » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:13 am

wait does that mean that the npc's don't gather iron? I swear the quarries provide iron to some of my villages

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:59 am

rekless wrote:wait does that mean that the npc's don't gather iron? I swear the quarries provide iron to some of my villages
They might nowadays and I missed it but I highly doubt it.

imnotanexpert

Post by imnotanexpert » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:15 am

felinoel wrote:Ahhh, yes there is no iron source block because iron is supposed to be supplied by the player, ages ago it was the recommended source of income for the player.
shame it can't even be added as a custom building; finding enough iron for 10 fully armoured and tachi-sworded japanese soldiers is a massive task. :|
rekless wrote:wait does that mean that the npc's don't gather iron? I swear the quarries provide iron to some of my villages
this may be because they trade between villages, so iron can end up in a different villages than which you placed/sold it in.

thanks for the know, at least i won't have to waste time drawing up useless building plans. does anyone know if ore sources will be added in a future update?

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:42 pm

imnotanexpert wrote:
felinoel wrote:Ahhh, yes there is no iron source block because iron is supposed to be supplied by the player, ages ago it was the recommended source of income for the player.
shame it can't even be added as a custom building; finding enough iron for 10 fully armoured and tachi-sworded japanese soldiers is a massive task. :|
this may be because they trade between villages, so iron can end up in a different villages than which you placed/sold it in.

thanks for the know, at least i won't have to waste time drawing up useless building plans. does anyone know if ore sources will be added in a future update?
That would make it too OP anyways.

druha

Post by druha » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:05 am

felinoel wrote:That would make it too OP anyways.
It probably would but the ability to set any block to be a "source" block via a config file would add compatibility and support for other mods that add their own blocks. Same thing goes for mods that add their own trees. Would be nice to add those log ids to a list for the lumberman.

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:42 pm

druha wrote:
It probably would but the ability to set any block to be a "source" block via a config file would add compatibility and support for other mods that add their own blocks. Same thing goes for mods that add their own trees. Would be nice to add those log ids to a list for the lumberman.
True, as I've told the dev before, it would be nice to add Cherry trees from Forestry to the Japanese villages.
Or actually... the Sakura trees from Natura might work better lol, Natura hadn't existed yet back when I told the dev that.

imnotanexpert

Post by imnotanexpert » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:57 pm

but it would be good if the rate/speed of tasks eg. mining, treecutting, farming, could be changed in a config too, so iron would be mined at a much slower rate than stone.

druha

Post by druha » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:07 pm

imnotanexpert wrote:
but it would be good if the rate/speed of tasks eg. mining, treecutting, farming, could be changed in a config too, so iron would be mined at a much slower rate than stone.
There is a way to fake it. Create a crafting goal for the villager/building that you want to mine iron, set it's inputs to nothing, the outputs to the iron ore item, and increase the duration of the task.

imnotanexpert

Post by imnotanexpert » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:15 pm

druha wrote:There is a way to fake it. Create a crafting goal for the villager/building that you want to mine iron, set it's inputs to nothing, the outputs to the iron ore item, and increase the duration of the task.
so you mean make a fake iron mine, just for show really, and have the 'miner' craft iron from nothing?
firstly, how do i make a crafting goal?

druha

Post by druha » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:22 pm

imnotanexpert wrote:
druha wrote:There is a way to fake it. Create a crafting goal for the villager/building that you want to mine iron, set it's inputs to nothing, the outputs to the iron ore item, and increase the duration of the task.
so you mean make a fake iron mine, just for show really, and have the 'miner' craft iron from nothing?
That's exactly it. There should be a tutorial for creating custom goals on the Wiki. If you don't find anything there I'll be able to help you in about 5 hours when I am back in front of my computer.

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:10 pm

druha wrote:
imnotanexpert wrote:
That's exactly it. There should be a tutorial for creating custom goals on the Wiki. If you don't find anything there I'll be able to help you in about 5 hours when I am back in front of my computer.
Goals are hard coded, aren't they?

druha

Post by druha » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:18 pm

felinoel wrote:
druha wrote: That's exactly it. There should be a tutorial for creating custom goals on the Wiki. If you don't find anything there I'll be able to help you in about 5 hours when I am back in front of my computer.
Some are and some aren't. The Mining and Copping Tree goals for example are hard coded. But the Making Bread and Cooking Chicken goals are not. The goals that are not hard coded have config files for each goal in one of the folders in .minecraft/mods/millenaire/ I don't remember the exact path off the top of my head.

imnotanexpert

Post by imnotanexpert » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:57 pm

tag a building must have for action to be possible. If absent, then the villager's house is used.
here, we are saying this crafting action will only happen at a building tagged "graveyard"
buildingTag=graveyard

extra tag the building must have for action to be possible (normally used to enable the action in an upgrade, like for makecalva)
requiredtag=tomb

priority=50

//en/in millisecondes
duration=8000

normally the inputs and outputs
heldItems=bone,rottenflesh

each action will require and use all the inputs and produce all the outputs
so here it takes four bones (in the villager's inventory or in the building's chest) to make one rotten flesh
input=bone,4
output=rottenflesh,1

if more than that number of item is present in building, stop goal
buildinglimit=rottenflesh,10
i found this millenaire-custom/mods/examplemod/goals/genericcrafting/makerottenflesh.txt

is this it?

druha

Post by druha » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:10 pm

imnotanexpert wrote:
tag a building must have for action to be possible. If absent, then the villager's house is used.
here, we are saying this crafting action will only happen at a building tagged "graveyard"
buildingTag=graveyard

extra tag the building must have for action to be possible (normally used to enable the action in an upgrade, like for makecalva)
requiredtag=tomb

priority=50

//en/in millisecondes
duration=8000

normally the inputs and outputs
heldItems=bone,rottenflesh

each action will require and use all the inputs and produce all the outputs
so here it takes four bones (in the villager's inventory or in the building's chest) to make one rotten flesh
input=bone,4
output=rottenflesh,1

if more than that number of item is present in building, stop goal
buildinglimit=rottenflesh,10
i found this millenaire-custom/mods/examplemod/goals/genericcrafting/makerottenflesh.txt

is this it?
That is a goal config file. There should also be a goals folder in the main millenaire folder with many more goals for you to use as examples.

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:23 pm

druha wrote:
felinoel wrote:
druha wrote: That's exactly it. There should be a tutorial for creating custom goals on the Wiki. If you don't find anything there I'll be able to help you in about 5 hours when I am back in front of my computer.
Some are and some aren't. The Mining and Copping Tree goals for example are hard coded. But the Making Bread and Cooking Chicken goals are not. The goals that are not hard coded have config files for each goal in one of the folders in .minecraft/mods/millenaire/ I don't remember the exact path off the top of my head.
Woah, this is new... relatively...
This is AWESOME news.

imnotanexpert

Post by imnotanexpert » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:35 am

ive got the building working, npc's move in, but i can't get the goal to work. the npc goes to the crafting position, and does 'goal.makeironingot', not 'Mining iron', but anyways the npc does not make ingots.
validrequiredTag=Oven
itselfsentencekey=Mining iron
priority=50millisecondes
EDIT:villageoisheldItems=woodpickaxe
duration=6000
outputsinput=,
output=ironingot,1 (EDIT: output=iron,1)
goalbuildinglimit=ironingot,16 (EDIT: goalbuildinglimit=iron,16)
donesound=metal
pathlevel:1
this is the makeironingot.txt which i made using existing crafting goals as templates. anyone know what's wrong with it?

EDIT: It works! - iron ingot is just 'iron', although the npc still says goal.makeironingot, and does not hold a wooden pick

druha

Post by druha » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:32 pm

imnotanexpert wrote:ive got the building working, npc's move in, but i can't get the goal to work. the npc goes to the crafting position, and does 'goal.makeironingot', not 'Mining iron', but anyways the npc does not make ingots.
validrequiredTag=Oven
itselfsentencekey=Mining iron
priority=50millisecondes
EDIT:villageoisheldItems=woodpickaxe
duration=6000
outputsinput=,
output=ironingot,1 (EDIT: output=iron,1)
goalbuildinglimit=ironingot,16 (EDIT: goalbuildinglimit=iron,16)
donesound=metal
pathlevel:1
this is the makeironingot.txt which i made using existing crafting goals as templates. anyone know what's wrong with it?

EDIT: It works! - iron ingot is just 'iron', although the npc still says goal.makeironingot, and does not hold a wooden pick
Check the goods.txt file in the directory .minecraft/mods/millenaire for all valid names of items.

I believe you will have to add goal.makeironingot to one of the language files somewhere to get the text over the villagers' heads correct. I don't remember what file it was though.

imnotanexpert

Post by imnotanexpert » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:44 pm

do you also know how to get the female peasant to take the iron to the village centre?

druha

Post by druha » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:20 pm

imnotanexpert wrote:do you also know how to get the female peasant to take the iron to the village centre?
One way is to put this goal:

goal=deliverResourcesShop

in the villager's file. And then add iron to the town hall's shop's 'deliverto' list.

imnotanexpert

Post by imnotanexpert » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:49 pm

druha wrote:
imnotanexpert wrote:do you also know how to get the female peasant to take the iron to the village centre?

in the villager's file. And then add iron to the town hall's shop's 'deliverto' list.
then surely, the smiths and army smiths' wives would remove the iron from their buildings as well?

druha

Post by druha » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:14 pm

imnotanexpert wrote:
druha wrote:

then surely, the smiths and army smiths' wives would remove the iron from their buildings as well?
Only if they have that goal. Also one of the arguments in trade_goods.txt for each item is an amount for how many of that item should be stocked in the shop. The villagers shouldn't ever let it get below that amount.

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:56 am

druha wrote:This request has been made on the Suggestions page already however.
Ah good, I pointed Kinn in the direction of this suggestion there then.
Hope it gets added because that would be useful for my many-mods-using culture.

druha

Post by druha » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:48 pm

felinoel wrote:
druha wrote:This request has been made on the Suggestions page already however.
Ah good, I pointed Kinn in the direction of this suggestion there then.
Hope it gets added because that would be useful for my many-mods-using culture.
Content creators got to be careful with this though, as you don't want a village that produces infinite diamonds or some other mod specific rare resource. The content creator would be responsible for balancing this. Which means there needs to be some kind of max limit of x/<unit of time> that can be mined. Which then also means that the mining goal should really be split out into different goals for different resources so there can be different caps. Much like any crafting goal where you specify the inputs, outputs, and max in building/townhall there should be a block source (block name from blocklist.txt) and max in building/townhall.

Also, this thread should probably be moved to the Milleniare custom content section as we are definitely not in general territory any longer.

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:43 am

druha wrote:Also, this thread should probably be moved to the Milleniare custom content section as we are definitely not in general territory any longer.
Nah still fits close enough.

imnotanexpert

Post by imnotanexpert » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:10 am

felinoel wrote:
druha wrote:Also, this thread should probably be moved to the Milleniare custom content section as we are definitely not in general territory any longer.
hardly anyone reads stuff in custom content though, ive been trying to find someone who knows how to make sub buildings, but its only got 8 views so far in 2 days.

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:28 pm

imnotanexpert wrote:
felinoel wrote:
hardly anyone reads stuff in custom content though, ive been trying to find someone who knows how to make sub buildings, but its only got 8 views so far in 2 days.
My Inuit culture's Council building will use sub buildings so I will figure it out eventually...