Official Nether Pigmen Culture Thread

Creating new content for Millénaire
Zoythrus

Official Nether Pigmen Culture Thread

Post by Zoythrus » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:10 pm

Hello!

As many of you know, I've talked about the idea of adding a culture based around a group of Pigmen refugees from the Nether. Since I finally managed to get myself an artist (as I suck at being creative), I have decided to *officially* start work on it!

So, what are they about? My idea is that they're the original creators of the Nether Fortresses and are thus, indigenous to the Nether; but due to the place being overrun with Ghasts and the like, they fled to the Overworld in search of a new home. Their structures would start out being made of wood and stone, and end up comprised of Nether materials like Nether Brick and Quartz.

What makes them special? Right now, my plan is for them to prefer rough and difficult terrain, like swamps, deserts, roofed forests, and wastelands (for ExtraBiomes); giving life to those areas. They'll also have unique items, including an iron/gold alloy which works quickly and is durable. Lastly, if I could do it, I'd give them the ability to mine iron (in a way that isn't overpowered), to offset the difficulty of upgrading them, which requires Nether materials. Overall, they're designed to be the hardest to improve, but give much better rewards in the long run. I'll try to balance this out with the other cultures, so that this culture might actually have a chance to be added to Millenaire proper.

Any questions?

TheAlphaTurkey

Re: Official Nether Pigmen Culture Thread

Post by TheAlphaTurkey » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:29 am

That sounds awesome! I'm really excited for this one!

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:23 pm

Hey, so am I! I look forward to making it!

Do understand, though, that it's going to take time.

Ticlon

Post by Ticlon » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:43 pm

Sounds nice! Don't let the amount of work scare you, I can tell you it is worth it when your culture comes to life! :)

Pavel2000

Post by Pavel2000 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:16 am

I can help you with Russian language , i.e. translation.

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:06 pm

Oh hey I was going to do this years ago before the dev blacklisted other dimensions for villages to spawn in, I think I still have the skins somewhere if you want those...

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:45 am

felinoel wrote:Oh hey I was going to do this years ago before the dev blacklisted other dimensions for villages to spawn in, I think I still have the skins somewhere if you want those...
I'll take a look, buddy!

And Pavel, we'll talk about that when the time comes. :)

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:14 am

Zoythrus wrote:
felinoel wrote:Oh hey I was going to do this years ago before the dev blacklisted other dimensions for villages to spawn in, I think I still have the skins somewhere if you want those...
I'll take a look, buddy!

I went to look for it but they are lost, I found the some of it though and saw it was from 2011! lol wow.

Anyways they were just they official pigman skin that was able to be found in Minecraft code but with the testificate villager clothes like the butcher and the farmer lol

Pavel2000

Post by Pavel2000 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:39 pm

Zoythrus wrote:
I'll take a look, buddy!

Good

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:35 pm

Here's proof that I'm actually doing some work!

These are the first stages of the Militaristic and Religious villages, respectively.

Hey, any reason why it decided to cut off the other half? That's kinda important. I can upload a second pic of the other building if you can't see it.

Xour

Post by Xour » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:06 pm

If you right click and open the image in a new tab you can see the whole thing. And it looks pretty good so far, a solid start to the culture.

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:22 am

Xour wrote:If you right click and open the image in a new tab you can see the whole thing. And it looks pretty good so far, a solid start to the culture.
Stupid forum pic code....

And we have gotten more than just those! That Militaristic town center has been completed, but I want the rest of it to be a surprise! We have also fully built a few other structures, but, of course, those are going to be a surprise, too!

Would you like me to put up our preliminary structure plans?

Pavel2000

Post by Pavel2000 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:10 am

In the projects try to use coloured glass

Xour

Post by Xour » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:56 am

Zoythrus wrote:
Xour wrote:If you right click and open the image in a new tab you can see the whole thing. And it looks pretty good so far, a solid start to the culture.
Stupid forum pic code....

And we have gotten more than just those! That Militaristic town center has been completed, but I want the rest of it to be a surprise! We have also fully built a few other structures, but, of course, those are going to be a surprise, too!

Would you like me to put up our preliminary structure plans?
Yeah that would be cool, just a few previews of bits and pieces.

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:04 am

Xour wrote:Yeah that would be cool, just a few previews of bits and pieces.
So, the Pigmen are going to have all of your standard structures: Armories, guard towers, Netherwart farms, houses, and the like. What makes them unique? The Warp Room. All village types will acquire a unique structure that grants them access to unrefined Nether materials. As their late stage buildings require Nether Brick, Glowstone, and Nether Quartz, they needed a way to make these resources renewable. Of course, like usual, a Warp Room is going to be a very slow means of getting these materials, but renewable, nonetheless.

They're also going to get their own unique resource, an alloy of iron and gold. I'm still working on stats, but I'm going to make it between iron and diamond in effectiveness - probably the strength of iron and the speed of gold. Either way, it's going to be a highly prized material, as it requires two separate ores to create. I've actually pondered making this their unique "crop," so that you might learn how to craft the stuff yourself...maybe....

I'll send a few more pics once we have some more buildings done. In the meantime, I want people's input on something - dialogue. In my head, the Pigmen are a proud race that managed a grand empire at one point, not unlike the other cultures. I see them as rather dismissive of the other cultures, but yet, inquisitive. I'd love for them to have some sort of nickname for the other cultures, something that reflects how the others aren't of this world, but they are ("Rounders," perhaps?).

So, if you'd like to contribute some dialogue ideas, just type it like this:

Adult Woman: "We need defenses! Why don't we build some Blazes?"
Chieftain: "And risk burning this fragile world to the ground? They might even injure %p!" (%p being the player's name)

Pavel2000

Post by Pavel2000 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:51 am

In the projects try to use coloured glass

Xour

Post by Xour » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:43 am

Pavel2000 wrote:In the projects try to use colored glass
I'm sensing a colored glass theme with you, it's not the first time you've said that. May I ask why?
Oh and by the way if you want to use colored glass panes, save yourself some time and steal the import lines from my civs lists, It takes a while to add all the color variations...

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:01 pm

Pavel2000 wrote:In the projects try to use coloured glass
We have an aesthetic that we're trying to keep, and I don't know if colored glass would fit well with it.

Pavel2000

Post by Pavel2000 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:01 am

Maybe you can use a dark glass for the main building Or to other buildings.

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:18 am

Pavel2000 wrote:Maybe you can use a dark glass for the main building Or to other buildings.
But, why? I mean, I might do some dark glass, but....why?

Well, I'll see what I can do.

Now, enough about that, I need dialogue ideas.

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:14 am

Pavel2000 wrote:Maybe you can use a dark glass for the main building Or to other buildings.
Maybe some red glass for when the buildings use netherbricks?

Pavel2000

Post by Pavel2000 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:19 am

Yeah I mean it is a hell of a fence

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:02 am

Pavel2000 wrote:Yeah I mean it is a hell of a fence
As I said, I'll try it out. Do know, though, that we already have Nether Brick fences.

EDIT: Okay, we like the red stained glass, but we're probably only going to put it on the temple.

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:53 pm

Hey, I have a question for you all. This is a few stages of the Market, and I'm wondering, can I add more "vendor positions" as I upgrade it? I want stage 1 to have 1 slot, 2 to have 2, and 4 to have 4 slots, so more vendors can inhabit it as it gets bigger.

Right-click > View Image to see all of it.

And, yes, Pavel, I've decided to add red stained glass to the final stages. :P

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:07 pm

Zoythrus wrote:EDIT: Okay, we like the red stained glass, but we're probably only going to put it on the temple.
Woo!

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:15 pm

felinoel wrote:
Zoythrus wrote:EDIT: Okay, we like the red stained glass, but we're probably only going to put it on the temple.
Woo!
Scratch what I said, as we've decided to make it replace glass when we get to the stages with Nether Brick. This applies to all structures that use glass.

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:23 pm

Zoythrus wrote:Hey, I have a question for you all. This is a few stages of the Market, and I'm wondering, can I add more "vendor positions" as I upgrade it? I want stage 1 to have 1 slot, 2 to have 2, and 4 to have 4 slots, so more vendors can inhabit it as it gets bigger.

It is surprisingly colorful, I wouldn't see them using wool like that, perhaps colored clay?

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:31 pm

felinoel wrote:
Zoythrus wrote:Hey, I have a question for you all. This is a few stages of the Market, and I'm wondering, can I add more "vendor positions" as I upgrade it? I want stage 1 to have 1 slot, 2 to have 2, and 4 to have 4 slots, so more vendors can inhabit it as it gets bigger.

It is surprisingly colorful, I wouldn't see them using wool like that, perhaps colored clay?
Not a bad idea. I have this headcanon that the Pigmen are trying to "understand" humans by imitating them in certain areas, like using Denier as their currency, so it's why some of their structures resemble more human ones. :P

Yeah, I'll test out the stained clay.

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:03 am

Here, Felinoel, I have replaced the wool with the stained clay. I think it turned out well. Also, on the side, you can see a Nether Brick structure with red stained glass. Isn't that awesome?!

Xour

Post by Xour » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:30 am

Yes you can but not though standard upgrades you need to add the new merchants and there stalls as subbuildings, it makes the building a little inconsistent but you can still make them build the subbuildings in order so it's the same as upgrades really.

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:21 pm

Xour wrote:
Yes you can but not though standard upgrades you need to add the new merchants and there stalls as subbuildings, it makes the building a little inconsistent but you can still make them build the subbuildings in order so it's the same as upgrades really.
Interesting. If only there was a guide on subbuildings.

Xour

Post by Xour » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:25 am

Good point, I'll give you a run down that should help out.

So inside any building you can add a command line written like this
;subbuilding:"buildingName"

now say you were building a Tavern building and you want to add the subuilding "bed"
;subbuilding:tavern_A_bed

Now the "A" is the variation for the tavern NOT the bed, so you can add different subbuildings to variations of the original building, can be a useful tool.

Naming a subuilding is a little different (this is the actual name of the file not any of the coding text) if you want to add a bed as a subbuilding for tavern_A you need to put it as

tavern_A_bed_A
and the paint files
tavern_A_bed_A0
and of course if you need to upgrade the subbuilding like a normal upgrade
tavern_A_bed_A1

Of course this means again that you can have variations within variations again adding more diversity.
Now say you want to add a second subbuilding that always comes after the "bed" subbuilding, you need to add the subbuilding command into you "bed" subbuilding so that you knew building can't be made until "bed" has been.

So within the .txt of tavern_A_bed_A add the line
tavern_A_spareroom

Repeat the process with all the naming's of the actual files, you can continue to add subbuildings within subbuildings as much as you need, just make sure you keep things neat and ordered so you don't lose track.

Hope this helps
Xour

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:20 am

Xour wrote:Good point, I'll give you a run down that should help out.

So inside any building you can add a command line written like this
;subbuilding:"buildingName"

now say you were building a Tavern building and you want to add the subuilding "bed"
;subbuilding:tavern_A_bed

Now the "A" is the variation for the tavern NOT the bed, so you can add different subbuildings to variations of the original building, can be a useful tool.

Naming a subuilding is a little different (this is the actual name of the file not any of the coding text) if you want to add a bed as a subbuilding for tavern_A you need to put it as

tavern_A_bed_A
and the paint files
tavern_A_bed_A0
and of course if you need to upgrade the subbuilding like a normal upgrade
tavern_A_bed_A1

Of course this means again that you can have variations within variations again adding more diversity.
Now say you want to add a second subbuilding that always comes after the "bed" subbuilding, you need to add the subbuilding command into you "bed" subbuilding so that you knew building can't be made until "bed" has been.

So within the .txt of tavern_A_bed_A add the line
tavern_A_spareroom

Repeat the process with all the naming's of the actual files, you can continue to add subbuildings within subbuildings as much as you need, just make sure you keep things neat and ordered so you don't lose track.

Hope this helps
Xour
This is how single building towns work, the entire town is one building with all the houses being subbuildings. The most popular version of this was the Walled Norman Town but my Dwarven culture is planned to be built like that in order for it to be able to be underground lol.

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:54 am

Thanks, Xour! That helps a lot!

I'll be reading it more closely when I actually get the subbuildings set up.

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:44 am

I've decided to give all 5 of you a treat by showing off much of what we have so far. It's not everything, but it's a lot of it. :)

So, if you don't want to be spoiled, don't follow this link.

http://i.imgur.com/OMmZgAf.png

So, yeah, what do you all think so far? I can give closeups if you'd like. We've got like, 5 more buildings to complete, and then the building portion will be done (unless we need to change something later). Then, we'll do villager textures, dialogue (which I'd still like to get some help with), and items.

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:38 am

I like the way the glowstone looks against the red netherbrick.

Xour

Post by Xour » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:04 am

Hey looks pretty good so far you've made pretty quick progress as well. looks like you've got s bit f diversity for those buildings as well.

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:55 am

Xour wrote:Hey looks pretty good so far you've made pretty quick progress as well. looks like you've got s bit f diversity for those buildings as well.
When you have two builders, myself and another, things go by pretty quickly. We have like, 2 more buildings to finish, then lone and player buildings!

Another guy will be doing our sprite work, such as textures and the like, and we'll have him start when we get the buildings done.

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:58 am

Zoythrus wrote:When you have two builders, myself and another, things go by pretty quickly. We have like, 2 more buildings to finish, then lone and player buildings!

Another guy will be doing our sprite work, such as textures and the like, and we'll have him start when we get the buildings done.
Ha let me know if those builders want to build a few dwarven buildings when they're done. =b

Xour

Post by Xour » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:46 am

Just out of curiosity, are you planning to add any custom blocks or items to this culture?

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:30 pm

Xour wrote:Just out of curiosity, are you planning to add any custom blocks or items to this culture?
Yes, I plan on adding a few items and maybe a block. Instead of always having to wait for Kinnekin, I'm trying to reverse engineer his code and add then myself. Any assistance would be appreciated.

And Felinoel, my brother and I are the builders, and a friend of mine is doing the sprite work. I'm paying them both $20 for their contributions.

Xour

Post by Xour » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:19 am

hmm well you could do what myself and Felionel are doing and add a separate mod .jar that contains the items and blocks your using, then Kiniken can add it later if he decides to. Works quite well I believe, and adding it into Kiniken's code won't be easy so...

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:22 am

Xour wrote:hmm well you could do what myself and Felionel are doing and add a separate mod .jar that contains the items and blocks your using, then Kiniken can add it later if he decides to. Works quite well I believe, and adding it into Kiniken's code won't be easy so...
The bodies to his methods are commented out and those comments use notation I've never seen before, so I have no idea how his stuff actually works. Like, it's the most obfuscated, non-obfuscated code I've ever looked at. Still, I'd like to figure it out, Xour.

Xour

Post by Xour » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:32 am

Hmmm well I suppose I have a few ideas on how I could take a peek, however this is kiniken's mod and although I'm sure he wouldn't mind I would prefer to have permission from kiniken to edit his work directly.

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:37 am

Xour wrote:Hmmm well I suppose I have a few ideas on how I could take a peek, however this is kiniken's mod and although I'm sure he wouldn't mind I would prefer to have permission from kiniken to edit his work directly.
Well, we'd need to find a way to get a hold of him. Do we have any extra carrier pigeons? Maybe blankets and a campfire for smoke signals? :P

Xour

Post by Xour » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:52 am

Haha if only it we're that easy...

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:17 am

Xour wrote:Haha if only it we're that easy...
I gave him an extra 10 euros; what more could he want?

Xour

Post by Xour » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:26 am

Honestly I don't know but he has been on a few times this year, I guess this has become a bit of a behind the scenes project for him, which is fine, just wish we knew where he was at with it.

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:04 am

Yeah, me, too.

Seeing as I can't use Nether Brick or Nether Quartz stairs (but stone brick stairs work fine), I'm going to create two versions of every building - one with Nether stairs, and one with alternative stone and wood stairs. That way, when this issue is inevitably fixed, I can update to the "original" versions of stuff.

Sorry if it looks awful, just know it's a WIP placeholder.

E_50_Panzer

Post by E_50_Panzer » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:00 am

Alright, I decided to help out Zoythrus on his pigman culture, so I made a basic skin for the pigman vilagers.
It's not too hard to make, but I'm sort of out of ideas to make him look different from normal villagers. These guys need to look like they are from a different culture and lifestyle. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

http://postimg.org/image/k2qveocmz/

http://postimg.org/image/clhnzgn3v/

Yes, that pigman has a facewrap, it was an idea to make the pigmen try and hide their faces from the different looking humans :P