Why the extra folders in "mods" when installing?

Discuss Millénaire in English
MauveCloud

Why the extra folders in "mods" when installing?

Post by MauveCloud » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:33 pm

It's a minor inconvienence, but I haven't come across any other mod that requires copying extra folders into the "mods" folder as part of the installation (which makes it slightly more complicated than just using the "Add" button in MultiMC). Other mods create default configs in the "config" folder (and sometimes subfolders of it) if such configs aren't already present, so I'm wondering why Millenaire requires the folders to be added there instead of using the config folder the way other mods do.

druha

Re: Why the extra folders in "mods" when installing?

Post by druha » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:17 am

MauveCloud wrote:It's a minor inconvienence, but I haven't come across any other mod that requires copying extra folders into the "mods" folder as part of the installation (which makes it slightly more complicated than just using the "Add" button in MultiMC). Other mods create default configs in the "config" folder (and sometimes subfolders of it) if such configs aren't already present, so I'm wondering why Millenaire requires the folders to be added there instead of using the config folder the way other mods do.
Those are the definition folders and files for pretty much everything in the mod as nearly all of it is customizable. There are a few other mods that add folders to the mods folder such as the Ruins mod. So while it is uncommon, it's not unheard of. Also, Millenaire existed before Forge even existed so there was no config folder way back then.

MauveCloud

Post by MauveCloud » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:59 am

That's not quite the same. I only tried it for a short time a few weeks ago, but the Ruins mod created a "resources" folder (with a number of subfolders, though many of them empty) under "mods" when I ran Minecraft with it installed (or possibly when I started a new game). It didn't require me to put the folder there as part of the installation. I also have folders for IC2 and Railcraft under "mods", but I'm pretty sure those were also added by running the mods, rather than to enable installing them.

MoonCutter2B

Post by MoonCutter2B » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:28 am

a) The custom folder is there so that you can add stuff from the Millenaire Library without having create the correct folder path yourself. Stuff in the customs folder can replace stuff, like the "alternate Norman houses".
There are also several new cultures that people are developing and this folder structure makes it easier to add, update and remove them.

b) There are and have been bugs in Millenaire that can easily be "solved" by editing existing files.

c) I find dragging 2 folders and one jar into the mods folder manually easy and worth the flexibility it gives. I often keep the customs folder and only replace the other 2.

MauveCloud

Post by MauveCloud » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:22 am

What bugs do you mean for b? If the bugs are so easily solvable by editing those files, why haven't the default files that come in the download been updated with the changes?

MoonCutter2B

Post by MoonCutter2B » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:31 am

There used to be a bug that one of the Hindi villages needed a statue that only another village could craft but the buying price was mssing.
A text edit later that was solved. I'm not sure if the bug are still there or not.

At least one of the alternative Norman houses need materials that they cannot buy. The tapestry.
Another edit and that is solved.

And ofc if you start createing your own stuff existing stuff is a good starting point.

TheAlphaTurkey

Post by TheAlphaTurkey » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:05 pm

There are indeed a lot of advantages to this, which in my opinion outweigh the small disadvantage of the extra effort.

- If there is a bug, a fix can likely be found by the community before the mod developer. Kinniken has a life too and can't fix things straight away. These custom folders mean that the community can fix and edit things to improve and fix small bugs without the developers input.

- Translations and custom things in the mod is so much easier. The community is currently translating the mod into nearly every possible language, and that would not be possible without these custom folders. Plus, as the community is developing new cultures and buildings, Kinniken can put more time to improving the gameplay and core side of things, while the community creates new cultures and content. Many of the current cultures included in the base game have been made by the community itself.

- Every game can be customised. Servers that may want to use the mod can easily take parts of it out, add things in and customise to their hearts content. Players can also do this on single player worlds, making the game highly customisable to each players personal preferences.

It may be a little annoying having to move around folders, but the mod wouldn't be anywhere near to where it is today without them.