Millenaire Server Idea?

Discuss Millénaire in English
TheAlphaTurkey

Millenaire Server Idea?

Post by TheAlphaTurkey » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:39 pm

**UPDATE**

Server purchased! I hope to double the mb in it throughout the next few days, and I'm just about to get a friend to help me install Millenaire and such on it :) I'll sort out this post, open up the server and be ready to greet you all very soon!

Here's a summary of the server :

Players would join one of two Kingdoms, and fight for towns over the course of 2-4 weeks. There would be a castle and two towns per kingdom, with attacks only happening a few times a week (to allow people to build up towns/prepare e.c.t). The server would use Lord Damiens Holdfast and Castle, with the only mods being the Millenaire mod and the factions plugin. Once one Kingdom controls the map, the map would be reset and a new game created. There could be more than one game mode, some featuring other mods e.c.t added into Millenaire. The server would allow people to give time to a server, but the server would be short enough to remain fresh. Leadership and other options would be available, and long-time players would be rewarded.

Lord Damiens Holdfast (http://www.millenaire.org/library/view.php?cid=170)
Lord Damiens Castle (http://www.millenaire.org/library/view.php?cid=179

That was the short version, I'll go into detail below :

The Kingdoms

The kingdoms would, in short, be two "teams". These would be factions that controlled a castle and two towns at the beginning of the game. Each Kingdom will need to elect a king, and that king will rule his kingdom, choosing people to lead towns e.c.t. The King will also make the attacking decisions (where to attack, what to do ((burn, capture e.c.t)) ).

Raiding/Attacking

Raids and attacks can happen every few days (I'm not sure yet of the frequency). This is purely to give people time to build towns up, reinforce and prepare e.c.t. When the server has been open for a few weeks, towns may start to get burnt/damaged, so the time between raids is necessary to repair as much as possible. When raids happen, the factions plugin will either be temporarily removed or the permissions changed so that terrain and chests can be edited. This will of course have to be tweaked e.c.t.

When a town is raided, the Kings can choose many things. The attacking Kings can do whatever, from destroying things to capturing the town (when all defending players + town negated) The defending King can also do anything (except attack another town during an attack) and traps, ambushes and strategy play a large part. When capturing a town, the town will need to be destroyed and re-made, but this should not be a problem.

Leadership Roles

Leadership roles in Millenaire is one of my favourite parts, and I would really like to include it. Unfortunately, this has been one of the most troublesome parts of the mod in multiplayer in the past, so may have to be changed. The Kings and hopefully his Lords will control the castle and towns respectively, building and upgrading them as they please. This adds a new depth to Millenaire, as every town will have different buildings. The King will ultimately be in charge of his kingdom, and everything inside it. In the game, I ultimately want, as the server owner, to be the guy who simply upholds the basic rules. How the Kings run their kingdoms is entirely up to them. If they want all towns to be NPC controlled, so be it. If they want everyone to fight, so be it. If they want everyone to farm, so be it! (they'll probably still be attacked though!)

Ending the game

The game can be ended only when one kingdom controls no more towns. This, depending on players, should be between 2-4 weeks, meaning that players can put their time into a world but still come back for a whole new experience. As some people may want to save the world, the world save should be able to be saved and then given to any player who wishes to continue it in single player.

Experience

Now that's done, let's talk about experience. I'm not entirely sure how this would work, but I'd like to reward people for finishing a map and joining a new one e.c.t. I was thinking along the lines of armour e.c.t at the start of a game, maybe chain or something to set them apart. This won't break the game as fighting can't be done for a while anyway, and people should catch up by then (hopefully!) Another idea for this would be actual experience bottles!!

Let me know below if you're interested, any ideas you have or anything that could be improved or changed!

TheAlphaTurkey;
Last edited by TheAlphaTurkey on Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alex1c2d

Re: Millenaire Server Idea?

Post by alex1c2d » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:29 am

A very good idea indeed!
Nothing I would change!

TheAlphaTurkey

Post by TheAlphaTurkey » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:38 am

Thank God at least one person liked the idea! :o

Is anyone else interested? If they are, I can hopefully begin the three stage testing I have in plan for the server, which is as follows :

Alpha testing : Very basic testing, a game tested like it would be, but with only 1 castle per kingdom. Test lag and and bugs.

Beta testing : Moderate testing, a game like it would be, but with a castle and a town per kingdom. This is to push the server even harder.

Final testing : If the server has passed all testing before, this is initiated. This is the third tester game, and runs like a full game, but with close observation over the time by me.

Once all this testing is complete we'll know how hard we can push the server, whether we should upgrade and what we can do in terms of lag and gameplay :)

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:30 pm

TheAlphaTurkey wrote:Thank God at least one person liked the idea! :o
The problem with a Millenaire server is that a lot of people like Millenaire and a lot of people on one server all spawning villages will require a very good server.

But... if I am reading this right you don't allow villages to spawn and only allow manual spawning... that could help!

TheAlphaTurkey

Post by TheAlphaTurkey » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:52 pm

felinoel wrote:But... if I am reading this right you don't allow villages to spawn and only allow manual spawning... that could help!

Yes, very correct! I really only want about 2 castles and 4 towns spawning per world maximum, and whether these are controlled or not is entirely up for the current kings! So in theory, the maximum controlled villages on the server would be 6 at any time :)

Of course, I still plan to run a three part testing (these are playable by the way, I'll just ease in content until we reach the 6 villages).

Talking about kings though, would anyone like to be a king in the first ever server game? If you are interested, please say so in the comments but please suggest a name for a kingdom, we need them! :)

- Turkey

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:32 am

TheAlphaTurkey wrote:Yes, very correct! I really only want about 2 castles and 4 towns spawning per world maximum, and whether these are controlled or not is entirely up for the current kings! So in theory, the maximum controlled villages on the server would be 6 at any time :)
For added fun then why not up the spawn rate of lonebuildings =b

alex1c2d

Post by alex1c2d » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:20 am

About the names, how about the deflictors/difliction castle, everglades castle, canterbree town, riftcull town,
smillercoll castle, dragerby town, trollingca castle/town, the horse people, trecancors, tarkans, jintons and boon goons.

Please use the names to the appropriate cultures.

TheAlphaTurkey

Post by TheAlphaTurkey » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:01 pm

felinoel wrote: For added fun then why not up the spawn rate of lonebuildings =b
I've been mulling this over in my head, and I guess in the end it won't matter too much in a multiplayer server the rate of lone buildings, as every new chunk that's loaded a lonebuilding has a chance to spawn in. So, in theory, chances that are "de-loaded" sometimes seem to have a new chance of getting a lone building!

On the LoM server I spent some time travelling between two places, often seeing new lone buildings pop up on the way back when they weren't there on the way to the place!

alex1c2d wrote:About the names, how about the deflictors/difliction castle, everglades castle, canterbree town, riftcull town,
smillercoll castle, dragerby town, trollingca castle/town, the horse people, trecancors, tarkans, jintons and boon goons.

Please use the names to the appropriate cultures.

Although these are all very nice names for towns, it's kingdom names I needed more..

I'm thinking of Caldonia and Estonia? I'm not too sure though, as they sound quite similar..

Thoughts? After that, if a couple of you agree to I'd like to open the server up for the first time :)

- Turkey

StalkerExecutor

Post by StalkerExecutor » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:50 pm

Alright, The idea is a good idea all-round.

I also have a few suggestions for the kingdom names and something for the lone buildings:

-Why not use names from fantasy, such as Lord of the Rings? Kingdoms such as Gondor and Mordor are well known.

-I would also suggest when using real-world kingdoms to be historically accurate. For example, Poland-Lithuania was once a personal union. What if Lithuania decided to break from the personal union and start a war with Poland?

-Finally, I feel as if there should be "neutral camps". These camps would give the player valuable items if they raided the camp (kind of like lone buildings). However, these would obviously be well-defended, as it would be too OP if you could raid them from the start.

Of course, you don't have to rush, but I was just putting out ideas that I think would make a good addition to the server.

Sincerely,

StalkerExecutor, you liege.

TheAlphaTurkey

Post by TheAlphaTurkey » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:32 pm

Stalker my good friend/foe!

Fantasy names sound very cool, although I'd rather use names that we invent ourselves.. I guess I'll just have to see when we start the server! (I don't see real world kingdoms as a possibility because of arguments)

Neutral camps sound very cool, but I doubt there would be too many ways of doing them, other than spawn in a custom built bandit fort for example. This is definitely something that could be done, but I'd like to test the server first :)

Talking about the server, I hope to open it very soon! Stalker, as you have some experience with servers e.c.t, would you like to be king for the first test match? It would help me a lot as you've been in the role of a village leader before :)

-Turkey

StalkerExecutor

Post by StalkerExecutor » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:41 am

TheAlphaTurkey wrote:Stalker my good friend/foe!

Fantasy names sound very cool, although I'd rather use names that we invent ourselves.. I guess I'll just have to see when we start the server! (I don't see real world kingdoms as a possibility because of arguments)

Neutral camps sound very cool, but I doubt there would be too many ways of doing them, other than spawn in a custom built bandit fort for example. This is definitely something that could be done, but I'd like to test the server first :)

Talking about the server, I hope to open it very soon! Stalker, as you have some experience with servers e.c.t, would you like to be king for the first test match? It would help me a lot as you've been in the role of a village leader before :)

-Turkey
-Try to come up with middle-age kingdom names if possible. Try not to come up with modern-day "kingdom" names, such as Estonia (It's as country on the coast of the Baltic Sea).

-Understandable. It is recommended to put this on hold anyways.

-I would be quite fine with that, as I have plenty of time to do work, test the server out, etc. However, Tuesdays and thursdays(PDT) are unacceptable as I have stuff to do on those days.

-Another thing to note is that we would need a fair amount of people to actually start a test match. We need at least 3 people on each side (2 lords, 1 king each). Unless you think that we could use the regular Millenaire AI as a placeholder, we would have to postpone the test match until enough people are interested in it.

Sincerely,

StalkerExecutor

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:35 am

TheAlphaTurkey wrote:So, in theory, chunks that are "de-loaded" sometimes seem to have a new chance of getting a lone building!
I don't think that is right...

TheAlphaTurkey

Post by TheAlphaTurkey » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:46 am

felinoel wrote:
TheAlphaTurkey wrote:So, in theory, chunks that are "de-loaded" sometimes seem to have a new chance of getting a lone building!
Simply working with what I experienced personally in my last multiplayer Millenaire server :) When me and my friends went exploring, it was quite common to see lone buildings spawn on the way back but not on the way there. Why this is I don't know, and it might well be to do with server simply being a bit slow at spawning them..

StalkerExecutor wrote: -I would be quite fine with that, as I have plenty of time to do work, test the server out, etc. However, Tuesdays and thursdays(PDT) are unacceptable as I have stuff to do on those days.

-Another thing to note is that we would need a fair amount of people to actually start a test match. We need at least 3 people on each side (2 lords, 1 king each). Unless you think that we could use the regular Millenaire AI as a placeholder, we would have to postpone the test match until enough people are interested in it.

Sincerely,

StalkerExecutor

All of that more or less agrees with what I was planning actually! I was mulling over good days to do raiding e.c.t, and came up with monday and friday nights. With the server testing, I detailed a three part testing system, which will introduce villages into the server slowly, so that I can monitor the effect of them e.c.t. (remember, we had a maximum of three in LoM, this will have 6 eventually 0-0 )

With that in mind, in theory we only need two people to control the two castles to test it. From this, I can monitor the affect it has on the server, and see how much we need to upgrade e.c.t.

Of course, any more people are more than welcome! I hope to have the server open sometime soon (maybe tonight) but I won't open it until I've made the base spawn town (non-controlled village that's neutral) and sorted the factions plugin out :)

- Turkey;

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:54 am

TheAlphaTurkey wrote:
felinoel wrote:
Simply working with what I experienced personally in my last multiplayer Millenaire server :) When me and my friends went exploring, it was quite common to see lone buildings spawn on the way back but not on the way there. Why this is I don't know, and it might well be to do with server simply being a bit slow at spawning them..
You must have missed them the first time... it is not like Millenaire's code to work that way...

TheAlphaTurkey

Post by TheAlphaTurkey » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:25 pm

True it's not, although I think this is more down the the server loading chunks differently and not having time to load chunks on the way there, but doing so on the way back.

For example, say you're moving through a world, the server will give preference to chunks close to the player, correct? This means that a lonebuilding that was 3 chunks away e.c.t might not get to load on the way there as the player moved too fast but loaded on the way back, as the chunks around the player were loaded from before.

In short, I have no idea why it happened, all I can offer is guesses..

EDIT : Might be wise to note that we were on horses at the time, so might have been moving too fast for chunks to load..

Also, the server has been tripled in mb! I am now in the final stages, and this forum post will be given a facelift once the server spawn e.c.t is sorted.

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:51 am

TheAlphaTurkey wrote:True it's not, although I think this is more down the the server loading chunks differently and not having time to load chunks on the way there, but doing so on the way back.

For example, say you're moving through a world, the server will give preference to chunks close to the player, correct? This means that a lonebuilding that was 3 chunks away e.c.t might not get to load on the way there as the player moved too fast but loaded on the way back, as the chunks around the player were loaded from before.

In short, I have no idea why it happened, all I can offer is guesses..

EDIT : Might be wise to note that we were on horses at the time, so might have been moving too fast for chunks to load..

Also, the server has been tripled in mb! I am now in the final stages, and this forum post will be given a facelift once the server spawn e.c.t is sorted.
Yes, if you loaded new chunks then that is possible.