Farmer's market on village
60%
Seed shop on village
40%

Total votes: 5

LordDamien

Build your own farm: Baking bad - Buggy beta 0.11

Post by LordDamien » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:30 am

Note: Could somebody move this post to custom buildings?

Hi folks,

The beta is ready and I hope everybody can collaborate improving it:

Buildings:
- Main House: A kind of town-hall with the main characters on it.
- Country House: The player's house, starts as a derelict and it will be improved with the oldman's aid
- Farmhands' house: Spawns a couple of NPCs to aid you in your farmly chores
- Well: Improves irrigation on fields getting more from them (irrigation bonus tag)
- Field: A small starting field that can grow to a middle size. NPCs will take care of it as well
- Big Field: A bigger size, yet it requires some resources to get it done. Does not update. NPCs also work here.
- ChickenPen: Spawns chicken, and that's mostly it. When there are eggs around, NPCs will get them. Also will slaughter them eventually.
- CattlePen: Cow-ridden stables. Women will milk cows if they have a couple of buckets for the task.
- Mill: Grinds wheat into "flour" (actually sugar), this will be used by NPCs to bake bread.
- Barn: Provides the NPCs a place to store wheat + allows manly men to craft hay bales.

NPCs:
- Oldman: Builds, plants his own potatoes and acts as village chief, also does bales
- Daughter: Does cooking, recolecting, mills grain into flour, baking, milking, etc..
- Farmhand: Harvesting and planting, slaughtering, building, hay baling
- Farmhand Wife: Same as the daughter, plus spawns children into this blocky world

To install:
- Find your .minecraft folder and copy the zip content into it.
- Become a norman leader
- place a block of gold and wand it good
- select "Countryhouse"
- ???
- Proffit

Download at your risk: (It substitutes blocklist, norman goodslist) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxbaLX ... sp=sharing
(will not be in the Library until the proper release)

Tasks to do:

Skins:
Do more skins for each NPC. I use this tool: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/571250
Women skins require extra tweak to make them fit their model.
- Toolmaker
- Parish
- Pilgrim
- Lumberjack
- Stonecutter
- Merchant

Buildings:
- Pigpen
- Sheeppen
- Loom: Should be a place to produce strings from wool
- Pond: For fishing purposes
- Farmer's market: Placed in a village, will work as a reverse market where the player sells his farm stuff
- Stone cutter: Also in a village, will create chiselled stonebricks, necessary for the mill building.
- lumberjack's hut: Very similar to the norman default, simply will have the other buildings style.
- Carrot patch
- Potato patch
- Melon field
- Pumpkin field
- Apple trees: will provide both red and green apples
- Vineyard: grape system from Byzantines (will require having the skill learnt from them)
- Winery: will do wine from grapes
- Cellar: will do cider from green apples
- Toolmaker: village building, will do sheards, fishing pools, hoes, anvils
- Stables: village building for player horses, I have already the logic and the NPC done. Will do saddles, leads, nametags
- shrine: for churching purposes in countryside (a parish and pilgrims will visit now and then, similar to merchants)
- Inn: Will offer bed and food for a price to pilgrims and other visitors
- klin: Converts wood into charcoal, which will be necessary for cooking
- Potter: does flowerpots, hardened and tinted clay (In village)

Items:
- shutters: trapdoors do not work and I'm angry with it. Hopefully we can build a block similar to shutters.
- butter: I can't believe we don't have butter!
- Omelette or something egg related
- wool clothes, similar to Byzantine's clothes but sturdier

Writting:
- Dialogs
- Oneliners
- Tags
- Quests:
1st quest: you find the oldman in a village and ask you for help, so the farm village spawns. (worldquest)
2nd quest: The oldman asks you for the material to rebuild the village. (continuation of worldquest)
3rd quest: When you have a farmhand, a quest to give him seeds will appear.
Marrying quest: Anybody? Felinoel? ;)

Feel free also to build any version from these buildings.

Known bugs:
- Trapdoors are funny: Indeed they are, hopefully will be solved in the next millenaire version
- Farmhand does not farm: Give him seeds, it will make him go do some farming.
- NPCs do not make animals breed: The goal for breeding is not available on mods, so I can't make it work :(
- Wheat or another product doesn't circulate: Yeah, NPC logic is hell. Hopefully we will tame it with time.
- NPC will milk cows 1000 times a day: I hope there was a delay on how much they can milk cows.
- NPC will milk cows without cows: Hum.. yes, I hope there was a way to tell if you have any cows.
- NPCs can't access the chickenpen properly: I plan to redo the chickenpen eventually to help that.
- Lots of wood disappear: NPCs use them for cooking. Charcoal will substitute it.

Last edited by LordDamien on Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:21 am, edited 11 times in total.

TheAlphaTurkey

Re: A game of hoes: framing mechanics in Millenaire?

Post by TheAlphaTurkey » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:29 pm

I'm up for giving this a go, although I'm not too sure what you're aiming at here..

So, the idea would be for the player to buy a farm? I could see it maybe working more if it were handled as a village in itself. Then we could have fields e.c.t placed around the farmhouse (village center) and we should also be able to have people work these farms (like rice fields in vanilla millenaire)

Anyway, I'm definitely up for giving this a go as I have a week spare that's not gonna consist of much at all..

TheAlphaTurkey;

Llurendt

Post by Llurendt » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:06 am

I have to agree with Alpha on this one. :D I love the idea, though!!

LordDamien

Post by LordDamien » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:19 am

Well, the idea was that this farm will have subbuildings, therefore the subbuilding fields go around it, however it will always have the same design. The animals housing will also be subbuildings.

Let's say we do a village based on this farm, how could we sell the resources automatically?

On a second thought, when merchants export your stuff, they never pay, or when other villagers get stuff from the chests it is algo for free, which I don't know how to solve.

The only solution I see is doing a goal named "trading" which will involve something you create:

goal trading wheat: uses 4 wheat, creates 2 coin
goal trading bread: uses 1 bread, creates 3 coin

Etc..

Where would the wife sell this stuff?

+ still on some village we should have to create the seeds + tools (+ animals?) shops.

TheAlphaTurkey

Post by TheAlphaTurkey » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:54 pm

Say if we go with the village kinda layout, if we made everything else player buyable we could have the "town center" as being just some signs or something and then the player could buy a house and fields e.c.t from the village? I guess then the player would have a sense of having to buy new things for the farm and expanding slowly as they make a profit.

I would say a market would be best for the wife to sell stuff, although I'm a little concerned about space, as village radius's aren't massive..

Would we even need a wife to do the selling though? At the start I doubt she'll have much purpose due to the fact that crops and that need time to grow e.c.t but I can see some use for her later on so it's all down to how much the player wants to work. I guess the player could simply take stuff out of chest (storeroom/barn?) and then sell it to the market manually, much like you would when you sell to a village.

I personally think the biggest challenge we'll have with this is coding all the NPC's to work the farm and such. I haven't even seen NPC's work with a player bought building before, and the way we seem to be taking this the whole farm is owned by one house (rather then each farm field having a respective house in vanilla millenaire).

Seem's interesting, but it'll definitely need some planning to make it happen :)

LordDamien

Post by LordDamien » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:11 pm

Hi,

The idea of the wife is because that aforementioned game "harvest moon" had the possibility to marry somebody, and I've seen that there is interest on that matter. Also, in case we are talking of a lone farm in the countryside, it might be good to have somebody while the player isn't around.

about the signs you mention, I would rather built first a very ruinous main building, which will serve as dormitory/kitchen as well, including the signs. On my country, usually farms have the stables glued together with the house, to provide warmth. So in that case, it would work as a subbuilding if you agree.

A brief summary of which buildings and subs would include:

- Well
- Main building with housing/kitchen.
- Mill
- Sub: Kitchen stables
- Sub: Cow stables
- Sub: Sheep stables
- Pond
- Vines for grapes
- Field (can do multiples)
- Fruit trees (?)
- Granary (Not sure what to be use with)
- Helper's house (NPC/s to aid with farming tasks)

What do you reckon?

LordDamien

Post by LordDamien » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:07 pm

Hum,

I started building a mockup of it and realised.. well you do need somebody to build the upgrades. I do like the idea of an abandoned farm that grows with you, but we really need an NPC to build every upgrade.

We could either add a small cotage nearby with an NPC that does the building, either a lone inn or lumberjack.
We could also consider adding the wife, which can be achieved by completeing a quest.

Any other ideas?

LordDamien

Post by LordDamien » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:34 pm

A distribution idea for the main building:

The first stage and dilapidated main building:

You will come across and find this building half destroyed. Then with the help of the NPC living nearby the farm (village), you will be able to rebuild it to it's proper first stage.

TheAlphaTurkey

Post by TheAlphaTurkey » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:08 pm

I like that idea!

Perhaps instead of a cottage nearby we could have "farmhands" on the farm? I guess later on these could become your "children", but I'm not sure how to implement that and I doubt it's possible.

Perhaps the player could come across a few people living in a ruined house, like you mentioned? These people could then help the player to build the house, and then be so grateful that they wish to work for the player (harvesting fields e.c.t?)

StalkerExecutor

Post by StalkerExecutor » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:51 am

I see that you have posted one of the many projects you are working on, Lord Damien!

I will try to summarize this for all of you good old lads:

Lord Damien started this project because of inspiration from Harvest Moon (yes, I know the game, though I am not THAT familiar with it. All i know is that you live as a farmer and you try to rebuild an old, abandoned farm into a thriving farm with many crops and animals). The idea of a farm WITHOUT village coding going in and a farm with village coding is kinda going back and forth.

I want to have A VILLAGE (only one) near the farm with the market in it. A suitable village would be the Norman Hamlet which builds a market. You may also create a town yourself and only put houses and markets in it. However, I'm guessing that you people will use a town in the project anyways.

In the town, we use ye olde' Millenaire markets, with some minor changes for the project such as a buy/sell system. I will suppose the currency used will be the deniers to reduce complexity.

Another thing to note is that lately Millenaire lone buildings with sub-buildings and with more parts in the lone-building, kinda acting like a village in some sorts. A good example of this are the Japanese Hot Springs that Rasseru created (Thank you for creating this wonderful lone building!).

I also think that you should maybe add a NPC which is hire-able and will help build the farmhouse for you. You will hire the NPCs from the nearby village. You may hire additional NPCs to help speed up the process. You can also use the lumberjack with some minor changes (all you really have to do is change the lumberjack's coding a bit).

As this will be a village-coded farm (Farmhouse=Village center, sub-buildings=houses?, etc.), I would recommend reducing the population count for the "village farm", as you don't want to have 10 people working on your farm in the first 10 or 15 days, do you? Farms don't grow that fast!

The Alpha Turkey:

if you've read my paragraph about "the NPC", then you know that it is similar to your "farmhands". Yes, your farmhands could be your descendants, but, as you have said, this is close to impossible to code in Millenaire without the use of another mod that is compatible with Millenaire ("Minecraft Comes Alive" is the perfect mod for this, however, unfortunately, it is not compatible with Millenaire.) Another thing I want to add is that a fraction of about 4/10 of your children will move to the "village" to find better work (similar to how teens in the Millenaire villages migrate to another same-culture village with "excellent" relations if there is work available).

A few people in the ruined house is a great idea if you want uniqueness with Lord Damien's project. It will sort of separate the project from the actual game, but not too much, making for an interesting idea to think about.

And that, my laddies, will end my post (hopefully not too long). Tell me what you think about, and be sure to see me replying to this thread quite a bit!

EDIT: NOTE: oh, and maybe you should change "framing" to 'farming". just to note.

LordDamien

Re: A game of hoes: Build your own farm (Ongoing)

Post by LordDamien » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:31 am

Hi folks,

StalkerExecutor: I still have an another secret project to build a culture which is becoming massive yet this would be a break. Also thanks for the tip on the "framing"!

I'm half done with the main building, right now this would be used by the player to live in it, so no npcs on it.
HOWEVER, could any of you guys build an alternate version of it for NPCs as theAlfaturkey suggests?

The idea is that the building will have two versions, one with people on the building and one without it. Both will use the same aforementioned external buildings.

I will help during the process in any way I can. I will also give 24 gold coins for it.

Will somebody take this quest?

carriontrooper

Post by carriontrooper » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:16 am

How about this: remember the Gros Bourg and its hamlets?
Why not have a main village (with the markets etc), and the 'farm' village as its hamlet?
Maybe the 'farm' village is initially owned by an aging farmer/woodsman, which dispenses quests. As your rep rises, you can buy your own farmhouse near it, which comes with the wife (old farmers' daughter?). Then you could supply resources to the old farmer, and he'll upgrade your buildings for you (make the old farmers' house be a 'town hall', with only 1 step AKA no upgrades).

How does that sound?

LordDamien

Post by LordDamien » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:16 am

Carriontrooper: That sounds good! Very jrpg, which is kind of the tone I was looking for.

Let me tell you what I'm doing:
- Old man and girl house (not sure how to make her marry you)
- 60% player house with multiple upgrades (I do like subbuildings, but adds to much complexity)
- 80% field (needs some editing)
- 75% chickens hut
- cow stables
- sheep stables
- well
- pond
- pigs stables
- Mill
- Pond
- Vines for grapes
- Fruit trees (?)
- Granary (Not sure what to be use with)
- Helper's house (NPC/s to aid with farming tasks)

After all that is done:

- Seed shop (for main villages and buyable for your farm-village)
- tool maker (The smith with a bit of redoing+ sheards, buckets, etc)
- winery
- farmer's market
- shrine (yes, some farms do have shrines)

The last buildings will be the most expensive ones. Instead of using the player-controlled-village, we will use the player bought terrain. Let's cross fingers and hope it works!

Again, anybody who wants to help, I will be thrilled to be working with them in:

- dialogs
- skins
- buildings
- goals/npc creation
- quests

Question: Should the old man / daughter go regularly to an another village (like a merchant) to import/export stuff?

carriontrooper

Post by carriontrooper » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:45 pm

For export/import, have the helper do it, I think.
As for the 'marriage' thing, make it a quest? Still a bit hazy on this one. maybe once you're at x reputation, he'll start offering this non-repeating quest, and after solving that quest you can buy a farm (including the wife)?

LordDamien

Post by LordDamien » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:53 pm

carriontrooper wrote:For export/import, have the helper do it, I think.
As for the 'marriage' thing, make it a quest? Still a bit hazy on this one. maybe once you're at x reputation, he'll start offering this non-repeating quest, and after solving that quest you can buy a farm (including the wife)?
:?: The problem with export is that you don't get anything in exchange + you can't choose what to export. For import, it doesn't cost you anything, so makes the game less challenging.

That is my principal issue with this matter.

Concerning the marriage:

- We have an NPC, namely old man's daughter, which is prepped as unable to do children (unless you're into incest). This NPC spawns at the old man's cottage. Ok, so far so good.

Then we would have a second NPC, namely married_daughter, which will be your wife, and should be able to spawn dozens of children through some trickery (i.e. invisible male npc).

:?: The problem here is: how do I make dissapear the first NPC? The second will appear using a subbuilding that requires the quest to be done.

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:03 pm

How do you handle the marriage thing btw?

LordDamien

Post by LordDamien » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:28 pm

felinoel wrote:How do you handle the marriage thing btw?
Haha, I was thinking in asking you to do the honours!

First, I create the unmarried npc with a quest.
Once the quest is complete, a tag is activated.
On the player's house, there is a subbuilding which can only be constructed if the tag is active.
The subbuilding has no blocks, except the sleep and craft position. Has a female (the wife) and a male (dummy invisible npc).
Problems so far:
- If the player has any other player houses, another wife will appear when an NPC builds the subbuilding. So, very screwed..
- The top issue I have is the previous NPC, as I can't kill it or make it disappear..

So.. right now I'm blocked! ;) Pun intended

TheAlphaTurkey

Post by TheAlphaTurkey » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:53 pm

I...I...

I have no damn idea what is going on anymore.

Stalker : Your post really confused me 0-0

Damien : I'm not really sure what's going on anymore, but if there's anything I can do to help just let me know :) It's been a while since I made something using Millenaire and I'm more than happy to help wherever I can :) How do you plan on doing dialogs?

LordDamien

Post by LordDamien » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:13 pm

Ok, summary:

This will be an NPC controlled village where player through quests and buying buildings will be able to expand it.
It will be the player's job to provide construction resources, like wood or coblestone, and sell the farm products on the other villages.

Village - Farm

- 60%Main building: Oldman and daughter's house
- 60%Secondary building: Player's house

Buyable buildings:

- 60%Field (size upgradable)
- 80%Big Field
- 60%Pond (NPCs will fish here)
- 60%Well
- 45%Mill (Produces sugar and bread)
- 60%Cow stables
- 60%Chicken stables
- 0%Pig stables
- 0%Sheep stables
- 60%Barn (produces haystacks)
- 0%Vines (to get grapes)
- 0%Fruit trees (to get apples)
- 60%Farmhand's house (NPCs that help in the farm)

Wishlist after that is done:

- Seed shop (for main villages and buyable for your farm-village)
- tool maker (The smith with a bit of redoing+ sheards, buckets, etc)
- winery
- farmer's market
- shrine (yes, some farms do have shrines)

NPCs:

Oldman: Main quest giver, village chief, builder
Daughter: Helps with farm tasks, wishful thinking makes us believe we can make a quest to marry her
Farmhand man: Helps with farm tasks, defends farm
Farmhand woman: Helps with farm tasks, can have children

To do:

I've already build almost everything except these:
- Sheep stables
- Pig stables
- Vines
- Fruit trees
From here, I will need to export and properly create the buildings.

On NPCs, I've done the skins, only, not the goals, quests, dialogs or npc roles.

You're going to make a rich old man!

LordDamien

Post by LordDamien » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:17 pm

TheAlphaTurkey wrote:I...I...

I have no damn idea what is going on anymore.

Stalker : Your post really confused me 0-0

Damien : I'm not really sure what's going on anymore, but if there's anything I can do to help just let me know :) It's been a while since I made something using Millenaire and I'm more than happy to help wherever I can :) How do you plan on doing dialogs?
'Hope the summary helps.

Feel free to create any buildings, even the ones that are already done. we will possibly mark them as B, or even give them an another name, so more to pick.

Dialogs: We need three things: Oneliners, dialogs, quests. So far nobody is doing that..

StalkerExecutor

Post by StalkerExecutor » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:57 am

I just had a wonderful Idea of what to use the granary for.

You should make the "village" have a storage capacity for wheat and other crops(perhaps 1 large chest?). In order to store more crops, you must buy the granary, which will provide much more storage capacity. If a bandit raid or something else is successful, then they will take all of the resources from the granary.

I might also help with the buildings to make a "medieval" building feeling to it. Although I may not have expertise in creating huge Hagia Sophias, I do have experience in building small lone buildings and villages. Tell me what architectural style, and I will surely try to build the best farm!

gwyllgi

Post by gwyllgi » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:51 am

DID SOMEBODY SAY SUB BUILDINGS?

LordDamien

Post by LordDamien » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:16 am

Haha,

So far I keep from using them if necessary, yet it is possible that we will use them to get a perk system with the updates or the wife system.

Cheers,

LordDamien

Post by LordDamien » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:18 am

StalkerExecutor wrote:I just had a wonderful Idea of what to use the granary for.

You should make the "village" have a storage capacity for wheat and other crops(perhaps 1 large chest?). In order to store more crops, you must buy the granary, which will provide much more storage capacity. If a bandit raid or something else is successful, then they will take all of the resources from the granary.

I might also help with the buildings to make a "medieval" building feeling to it. Although I may not have expertise in creating huge Hagia Sophias, I do have experience in building small lone buildings and villages. Tell me what architectural style, and I will surely try to build the best farm!
Your proposal is interesting, however I am unsure how to get it to work. Concerning the building, I will be soon publishing a very first buggy release, so you can get a feel of the buildings.

LordDamien

Post by LordDamien » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:35 pm

Concerning the poll:

- I've come to be able to do both: player controlled village and extend an npc village by buying new buildings.

So far, I'm pro pcv, however I think we can totally do both.

My reasons:

Pros on PCV:
- PCV allows you to set the buildings on your specified location
- PCV also allows you to add multiple buildings. This can be achieved by certain tweaking on the buyable plots.
- In buyable buildings: chests are locked, yet it is your farm, so you have to pay for the things your workers produce..

Cons:
- You will not 'stumble' upon the farm. Yet this might be solvable through questing.

LordDamien

Post by LordDamien » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:38 pm

On marrying business:

- I'm not good with quests, yet I've seen so far you can add an npc to a place for a quest purpose and banish it afterwards. This could help doing the marrying business:

- Quest start: the daughter appears at the farm.
- Step: You work your way and get the daughter to marry.
- Step: The daughter "disappears".
- Finish: A new tag is added to you, this allows to create a subbuilding on your house, which has a female:dwife
- profit

What do you reckon?

LordDamien

Re: Build your own farm: Baking bad - Buggy beta 0.11

Post by LordDamien » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:23 pm

Buggy beta is out, hope you have a bugfest!

Also the name of this beta (0.11) is Baking bad, because of the mill/bread mechanics. Next one will be Hay Stakes.

Cheers!