Far Down The Road

Discuss Millénaire in English
vengence12

Far Down The Road

Post by vengence12 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:57 pm

Hello all, my name is Jack. I've been playing Millenaire for a while now, since the old technic pack was popular. I've been reading forum posts about things that should be added, and I've agreed with a lot of them. However, what I have seen from the admins is a lot of the same thing: These things cannot be added because they are too similar to what is already in the game. I have a compromise. I'm not saying this is what should happen, I'm not even saying that you all have to do it. Just hear me out:

My idea is simply to combine the ages. The current Millenaire is set in the 11th century I believe, and thus certain historical facts must be present, like the Byzantine Empire. I suggest making your Minecraft progress through the ages. When a certain amount of time has passed in a world, different events happen. Revolts within the Byzantine towns, raids occurring more often, etc. After a certain amount of chaos has ensued; similar to the real world, a new doctrine is established. One empire takes over, and the old one diminishes. For example, when the Byzantine Empire falls, lots of the villages are destroyed by raiders, and we see an increase of other villages spawning. Perhaps the Hindi Indians gather and form the Muslim Empire. I'm not extremely well versed in world history, but I don't see how this would be impossible. Hard yes, impossible no. You already have a template to use for the time. When villages are planning a raid, a certain amount of hours must pass. Change that value to days, and maybe every 300 Minecraft days signals the end of a regime. Obviously it wasn't happening this quickly in real life, but I doubt someone is going to wait hundreds of thousands of days for this to be accurate. This may be too big of a project, or maybe it will make Millenaire not Millenaire anymore, I'm not sure. Please give me your thoughts on this, everyone too, not just the admins.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I hope you all will let me know how this sounds, and what the flaws are. Happy crafting!

felinoel

Re: Far Down The Road

Post by felinoel » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:12 am

To be honest I (and a friend) am working on an addon mod that progresses the cultures slightly once the Creation Quests for that culture has been completed.

You are welcome to making your own custom culture age if you so wish, it is just that there will be nothing officially added in the actual mod itself unless it complies with the assigned age.

Over the years there have been additional custom cultures that use different ages and you are fine to make your own if you so wish.

TheAlphaTurkey

Post by TheAlphaTurkey » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:58 am

This DOES sound amazing, but would require A LOT of coding and time..

At the moment though with the spawning, villages and lone buildings only spawn in new chunks I believe. This would make the new villages a pain to spawn in the place of older ones..

Perhaps we might find a way to change village cultures instead? I'm still thinking it would require a helluva lot of coding though..

Kinniken's probably the one to know the most about this and how probable it is to do as it's his mod and he designed it but it does seem very hard to do (but not impossible, just expect days and days of coding!)

TheAlphaTurkey;

vengence12

Post by vengence12 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:41 pm

The idea of replacing wouldn't be so complex. Instead of trying to load a new village over the old one, they would just raid the old village and use the effect of wand of negation to stop villagers from spawning, then they would break blocks and start building, similar to when the Japanese villages break thatch roofs to replace it or add on. As far as making this myself, I would love too, except I don't know how to mod. I'm looking into it, because I'd love to make a Dragon Quest mod, but if I can learn how I wouldn't mind trying this. The reality is that I might not make either, just because I tend to lose interest in things halfway through. I figured that the mod makers of this might be better suited to the task, although if you and your friend would make this, I would be just as glad. It really would take a lot of time, so I understand why you wouldn't, and why the mod authors of Millenaire wouldn't. I would just like to see this happen eventually. Like a Millenaire 2.0 or something. That would be amazing.

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:23 pm

TheAlphaTurkey wrote:Kinniken's probably the one to know the most about this and how probable it is to do as it's his mod and he designed it but it does seem very hard to do (but not impossible, just expect days and days of coding!)

TheAlphaTurkey;
Sadly Kinn is busy with his newborn and waiting for Forge to update...
vengence12 wrote:The idea of replacing wouldn't be so complex. Instead of trying to load a new village over the old one, they would just raid the old village and use the effect of wand of negation to stop villagers from spawning, then they would break blocks and start building, similar to when the Japanese villages break thatch roofs to replace it or add on. As far as making this myself, I would love too, except I don't know how to mod. I'm looking into it, because I'd love to make a Dragon Quest mod, but if I can learn how I wouldn't mind trying this. The reality is that I might not make either, just because I tend to lose interest in things halfway through. I figured that the mod makers of this might be better suited to the task, although if you and your friend would make this, I would be just as glad. It really would take a lot of time, so I understand why you wouldn't, and why the mod authors of Millenaire wouldn't. I would just like to see this happen eventually. Like a Millenaire 2.0 or something. That would be amazing.
While this concept is quite interesting, having Millenaire spawn buildings randomly could damage user-built stuff, also that kind of coding would require Millenaire itself to be recoded, a simple addon mod would likely not be able to change that.

So because of that I would recommend that you post this on the Suggestions page.

vengence12

Post by vengence12 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:33 pm

I did not think about that. I certainly do build my own stuff quite close to my villages. I wouldn't be good if it was deleted due to random generation. Well, thanks for looking into the matter. I will think this over, and maybe somewhere down the line I will post a revised idea. Happy crafting!