Trade Routes / Roads

Use this forum to discuss feature suggestions for Millénaire
Post Reply
ChilPhil
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:08 pm

Trade Routes / Roads

Post by ChilPhil » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:16 pm

It's rather difficult moving from one village to another in a timely manner, especially when forests are in the way. My idea is to have a path formed from one village to another at excellent relations. Bridges might be a thing, at least for routes over rivers (not oceans, that would be ridiculous). As for logical implementations, I'm not sure. :? Any suggestions from the community?

Saggaris
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:13 am

Re: Trade Routes / Roads

Post by Saggaris » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:28 am

I agree to a point there ChilPhil, but for me part of the enjoyment of Minecraft in general is doing the stuff that doesn't get done, like filling all the water/crevasse's around a village to make it usable while protecting it's inhabitants, well I see my job as the same here, creating a pathway to another town goes along with Millenaire for me.
It would be nice however to have a feature that allows me to add waypoints that Traders and Townspeople alike will follow from one Village to another.... so good point there.

kjdiehl
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:41 pm

Re: Trade Routes / Roads

Post by kjdiehl » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:32 pm

Waypoints sounds like a good solution. Because while I agree that I like to build the roads between villages myself, the pathing AI may cause a Trader to not use all or some of the road I built. Maybe an opposite approach would be easier to code? Such as programming the traders to put down occasional village dirt path blocks on their route. Like randomly every dozen blocks or so. This would very slowly start to beat a path through the forest as they travel, just like naturally, and it would give the players markers to follow when building their own roads so as to better align with the pathing AI.

kjdiehl
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:41 pm

Re: Trade Routes / Roads

Post by kjdiehl » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:25 pm

Thinking further on this, I think Waypoints would actually be a clunky implementation. This would require a new block or UI added for controlling them. Simpler I think would be to have the Traders pathfinding AI be tweaked to favor grass paths*. This way, players could build and maintain the roads themselves. And coupled with my suggestion that the Traders, while outside of Villages, convert occasional grass blocks to dirt paths, the whole thing should work fairly well.

*Be sure it's the usual Minecraft grass paths, and not the special Millenaire ones, otherwise the player will never be able to earn or steal enough from the villages to make such long roads themselves.

User avatar
felinoel
Posts: 974
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: Trade Routes / Roads

Post by felinoel » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:39 pm

I would like to see roads with Minecraft path blocks, just to help find other villages
Maybe even have traders randomly spawn on these paths

kjdiehl
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:41 pm

Re: Trade Routes / Roads

Post by kjdiehl » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:35 pm

felinoel wrote:I would like to see roads with Minecraft path blocks, just to help find other villages
Maybe even have traders randomly spawn on these paths
How I understand how Millenaire is coded, this would not work. Villages don't pre-populate the world, they are generated one at a time as you explore and new chunks are loaded. As you explore, if you're far enough from other villages, the chance of another village being generated is run and eventually it is created. You should see a pop-up message telling you a new village has been discovered, something like "850 meters North-east" or whatever. So that's how you can find them. I suppose at that time, roads could be generated between villages, but this would not help you discover them, it would only take the work of building your own roads away from you. Plus, I suspect this would be a real bear to code.

Personally, since Traders already travel between villages anyway, I like the idea of having them run a chance for every grass block outside of a village that they walk on, of turning it into a standard Minecraft Grassy Path block. Not every block, just like 1 in 10 or 1 in 20 or so. This would cause paths to naturally generate over time, and the player would then have a guide of where to further develop the roads themselves. Adding the feature of Traders having a preference to walk on Grassy Path blocks would create a nice feedback effect, allowing the roads to develop faster and the player to guide Traders to better or preferred routes, (around harsh terrain, for example.)

Thinking on this, it would probably be cool to allow ALL Millenaire NPCs to have this grassy path ability & preference when outside village boundaries. So when children travel to new villages for instance, the roads would be favored and enhanced. And it could even give the player small occasional clues to tracking down Bandit Camps!

User avatar
felinoel
Posts: 974
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: Trade Routes / Roads

Post by felinoel » Mon May 21, 2018 1:49 pm

kjdiehl wrote:
felinoel wrote:I would like to see roads with Minecraft path blocks, just to help find other villages
Maybe even have traders randomly spawn on these paths
How I understand how Millenaire is coded, this would not work. Villages don't pre-populate the world, they are generated one at a time as you explore and new chunks are loaded. As you explore, if you're far enough from other villages, the chance of another village being generated is run and eventually it is created. You should see a pop-up message telling you a new village has been discovered, something like "850 meters North-east" or whatever. So that's how you can find them. I suppose at that time, roads could be generated between villages, but this would not help you discover them, it would only take the work of building your own roads away from you. Plus, I suspect this would be a real bear to code.
What no that was exactly what I had in mind?
Personally, since Traders already travel between villages anyway, I like the idea of having them run a chance for every grass block outside of a village that they walk on, of turning it into a standard Minecraft Grassy Path block. Not every block, just like 1 in 10 or 1 in 20 or so. This would cause paths to naturally generate over time, and the player would then have a guide of where to further develop the roads themselves. Adding the feature of Traders having a preference to walk on Grassy Path blocks would create a nice feedback effect, allowing the roads to develop faster and the player to guide Traders to better or preferred routes, (around harsh terrain, for example.)

Thinking on this, it would probably be cool to allow ALL Millenaire NPCs to have this grassy path ability & preference when outside village boundaries. So when children travel to new villages for instance, the roads would be favored and enhanced. And it could even give the player small occasional clues to tracking down Bandit Camps!
Traders making vanilla grassy path blocks are perfect for this! Personally I would make it be 1 in 5, or less though.

I would be against bandits doing it though.

Saggaris
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:13 am

Re: Trade Routes / Roads

Post by Saggaris » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:57 pm

I'm not sure I've ever seen a trader travelling from village to village so I don't know how it would work... you guys know better than I do, but I would definitely like to have a path 'growing' over time, allowing me to build an Inn or other Shelter (probably never used by anyone but we can pretend or use a spawning tool of some sort) but the road/path is important and the laying of 'grasspath' or any other sort of path by the Merchant would be a great addition (cough 1.7.10 cough) to Millenaire.
Would it be possible to use one of the Millenaire path blocks as a preferred path? that way it could blend in and we could spend our 'excess' money or tighten our belts to make the path.

As ever Pete

Ilovewash
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:52 pm

Re: Trade Routes / Roads

Post by Ilovewash » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:05 pm

I love the idea of waypoints.


Like every 150 or 200 blocks you can find a building.
If the relations between the two villages are good, the buildings would be shelters, with traders maybe ?
If the relations are neutral, it would only be shelters.
But if the relations aren't good (like for war) the buildings would be outposts, with guards inside.

Of course the buildings won't change with the relations (or not ?), only the people in it. And the style of the shelters/outposts will be according to the nearest community (japanese, normands..).

What do you think ?

Derisen
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:33 am

Re: Trade Routes / Roads

Post by Derisen » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:39 am

Ilovewash wrote:I love the idea of waypoints.


Like every 150 or 200 blocks you can find a building.
If the relations between the two villages are good, the buildings would be shelters, with traders maybe ?
If the relations are neutral, it would only be shelters.
But if the relations aren't good (like for war) the buildings would be outposts, with guards inside.

Of course the buildings won't change with the relations (or not ?), only the people in it. And the style of the shelters/outposts will be according to the nearest community (japanese, normands..).

What do you think ?
Sounds awesome, would love to see it !

User avatar
felinoel
Posts: 974
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: Trade Routes / Roads

Post by felinoel » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:19 pm

Saggaris wrote:I'm not sure I've ever seen a trader travelling from village to village so I don't know how it would work... you guys know better than I do, but I would definitely like to have a path 'growing' over time, allowing me to build an Inn or other Shelter (probably never used by anyone but we can pretend or use a spawning tool of some sort) but the road/path is important and the laying of 'grasspath' or any other sort of path by the Merchant would be a great addition (cough 1.7.10 cough) to Millenaire.
Would it be possible to use one of the Millenaire path blocks as a preferred path? that way it could blend in and we could spend our 'excess' money or tighten our belts to make the path.

As ever Pete
That is WHY I want paths to be made, because then I can find where they are coming from and look for them!
Ilovewash wrote:I love the idea of waypoints.


Like every 150 or 200 blocks you can find a building.
If the relations between the two villages are good, the buildings would be shelters, with traders maybe ?
If the relations are neutral, it would only be shelters.
But if the relations aren't good (like for war) the buildings would be outposts, with guards inside.

Of course the buildings won't change with the relations (or not ?), only the people in it. And the style of the shelters/outposts will be according to the nearest community (japanese, normands..).

What do you think ?
Most traders have their own ethnicity and they would likely build a building based on the ethnicity of the trader walking by at the time

warmelbows
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Trade Routes / Roads

Post by warmelbows » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:34 am

I really like the sound of this. Maybe when lone buildings are close enough to a path between villages, they could get a not-quite-as-worn path going there as well.

kjdiehl
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:41 pm

Re: Trade Routes / Roads

Post by kjdiehl » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:10 am

Dovetailing off of this a bit- I always feel my traders are never doing their job. For instance, I have a 4 village Norman hamlet, and they each have many items that the others want, like cobblestone, or timber frames. But the Inns are empty and no goods have ever been traded. And this has been my trader experience almost every game. As far as I was aware, inns, (or markets or something,) had recently been added to every village from the start in order to better propagate trade, but I don't seem to be seeing the effects.

To wrap back in my trade route/road idea, could there be added a chance that the more path blocks between villages, the better the chance a trader spawns or travels or something? Maybe this could help my above observed problem? So that even if the traders aren't doing the pathing yet, you can encourage them by building better roads. Maybe add a way to make well lit roads be more desirable?

Post Reply